Temperature gauge and coolant

No, I'm not losing coolant. When I first bought the car it was low on coolant and so I topped up. The it was fine. This time, I changed the thermostat, and I lost more than I expected during that process. I had a litre of coolant in the back of my car and so I used that to top back up, but I must have lost more than a litre during the stat change. So I will have to top it up again today until it stabilizes. I'm happy enough that the coolant isn't leaking out anywhere. So the temperature gauge is the only issue in relation to cooling. I now suspect the temperature sensor. I suppose swapping that out is going to lose some coolant also! So there could be more topping up before this is finished!!!

Sponsored Links
But if your engine (1.9 TDi is it) has only one sensor you should notice problems with the engine because the management ECU uses it to control engine start-up etc.
But if your engine has two sensors, the one for the gauge may well be faulty.

http://bit.ly/14XthM2

As you can see there's a few listed. Put your details in and see whats listed

Mine is a 1.4 petrol. I did a search for the sensors on ebay and have limited it down to one of 2. What I am unsure of at the minute is where the sensor is located in my car? When I find it, I can match it up to see which part I need to buy! :)

In relation to the coolant, I drove to Halfords today(10 minute drive) and when I was nearly there I got the low coolant warning, as expected. 3 beeps and flashing red light on the dash. Ironically, the temperature gauge rose up to normal when this happened, but quickly dropped back down again. Anyway, I bought the coolant and topped it up to max. The car drove home and I took the long route to give it a 30 minute run. No low coolant warning, but the temperature gauge didn't budge. It's gotta be the sensor, right?

Sponsored Links
I think I have located the coolant temperature sensor. In this youtube video, the temperature sensor is removed.

I have the same sesnor in my car so I presume this is the one to remove. It seems to be colour coded, maybe greed coded? Is it ok to remove this sensor to find out exactly what it looks like? Or if I do, will I lose coolant or do any other damage?

I'm thinking to just remove it to get the exact look or part number and then connect it back in until can get the new part?

Any idea what other symptoms? I have read the info in the link you provided, thanks. I am not sure what to do now.

I guess, I'll give the sensor plug a wiggle now and see if that helps. Can the plug be removed without losing coolant or causing any unstability? I might be able to clean the pins with WD40 or something?

Anyway, still love to know what other symptoms to expect if it is the sensor.

If the ECU thinks the engine is cold it will give it more fuel (choke) until it heats up (never). Black tips on the spark plugs when taken out is a sign of a rich mixture. But, the car would be very hard on fuel so that's why I'm doubtful its the gauge.
You can take the plug off without loosing coolant, but it might log a fault in the faulty codes. Which shouldn't be a problem.

I think we can close this one out Mursal! Thanks. I took the plug out, cleaned it, replaced it, and temperature gauge worked when I went for a drive! I don't want to speak too soon, but it hasn't worked for weeks really. So I'm gonna say that it is fixed. No faults reported on the dash either. :)
I'm going to do the oil change on Wednesday now and hopefully that will be that fr a while! Battery is acting weak at times, but I will recharge it and see how that goes, as Burnerman says, I can charge it in the car. But if I need a new battery, I will need the radio code, which I don't have right now. I'll contact Seat if that happens. Thanks for the help.

No worries ............... glad to help

Motor factor might have a power supply that goes into the lighter socket while they change the battery for you. It just keeps the radio code alive, but I forget the actual name used for it

Sponsored Links
Back