Brake Pedal Locked

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please can anyone help
I bought a new Ford Focus 2.0 TDCI and 3 days later the brake pedal locked when I applied pressure to slow down at a roundabout. I was only travelling at 15mph and didnt hit the pedal hard. The car has been inspected but they found no fault. Any ideas what might have caused this?

Sponsored Links
Even though it locked, did the brakes still work if you pressed as hard as you could?

Could have been a temorary brake servo failure :confused:

I pressed quite hard both times but no brakes were applied, well not that I noticed in such a short space of time.
Engineer is going to report no fault so looks like I have to pay huge excess, lose my no claims and have a week of stress to show for a new car I now have no confidence in
:cry:
Thanks for your help :)

I can't pretend to know what's gone wrong, but it does sound very concerning. Have you, in fact, had an accident as a result of the apparent malfunction of the brakes? And, if I've understood you correctly, is this a new car?

I suggest you find an independent engineer to inspect the vehicle (do you belong to a motoring organisation?). Then take formal steps, if necessary, to reject the vehicle and ask for your money back from the dealer. Consider also making a claim to the small claims court for any additional expenses you have incurred as a result of this.

Assuming that this is not a problem caused by you (loose stuff in the footwell, untidy carpet, etc.) I think you are right to be concerned about even an occasional fault. If it had been a problem with the servo as MW Roofline suggests, you wouldn't experience a sudden and complete loss of vacuum: there's usually some left in the reservoir and you can feel some warning of loss of servo assistance.

Sponsored Links
Yes ,brand new car only 3 days old and definitely not cased by anything on the floor. Insurance company sent their own 'independant' engineer who apparently found no fault, although he has recommended a Ford engineer check it too.
If the Ford engineer doesn't find a fault I will have to find out my legal rights as I am concerned the fault is intermittant and will happen again. I can't bear to think what would happen at higher speed with children in the car.
Thanks for the advice

Certainly this is a master cylinder fault, and for heavens sake take the car back, see the manager of the dealership and insist that you are given a courtesy car until a definite fault has been found and rectified - or the car replaced. In no way must you be fobbed of by this one, and say that you'll contact Ford UK if you don't get your way.

I have already done exactly as you have said but the dealership and Ford refuse to do anything until they are found at fault and were quite abrupt about it too. The Ford engineer is going to inspect the vehicle this week, in the meantime I will be writing a letter of complaint to Ford UK whatever the outcome of their inspection.
It is driving me mad knowing there was definitely a fault, I have been driving for 17years and do know which pedal is used for what! But unless an engineer can find a fault they will not believe me. I will be seeking further legal advice.

What a ridiculous scenario. Definitely write to Ford UK, mention the off hand reception that you got at your dealer, and suggest that perhaps they would like to chance a drive in your car? I would like to meet the engineer too - not to have a stand up battle but to hear what he says. If he says there is absolutely nothing wrong, perhaps a mention of BBC's Watchdog could galvanise themselves into action? I wouldn't personally go for legal advice at this stage - Ford have got to have a go first at putting things right. In the mean time, I think a courtesy car is the least that they can provide. Good luck and best wishes with this one - the whole issue stinks. Cheers John

email auto express to see if they have heard of similar cases or see if they can take your case up?

Probably not much help to you, but I experienced this in a Ford Fiesta many years ago.

I didn't crash, luckily I took my foot off the pedal and pushed it again and stopped.......

There must be other cases like this??

Sponsored Links
Back