Brake pipes.

My Mitsubishi GTO is 27 years old and the pipes are no where near that bad!.

I've cleaned an painted them this year but to be honest I'd change those in the picture without a doubt..

I agree - I would not want to risk pipes in that condition on any vehicle I had to drive, I did once have a single circuit brake pipe fail on a downhill, with tight bends. I had to rub the speed off on a hedge - absolutely not fun. That vehicle had a valid MOT.

I doubt the wisdom of painting them too, paint can be used to hide failing pipes and can make an inspector suspicious. My tame MOT inspector says he is happy with light corrosion rubbed down and grease applied. The grease he says, allows him to feel the condition under the grease with his fingers - anything could be hiding under paint. Corrosion can continue under paint too.

Sponsored Links
I was going to grease them but there's no going back to paint after that..

Will sand smooth with a light coat of paint.

I don't have a great deal of faith in Waxoyl, but its occasions such as these where it does have its place......at least you can get full coverage.
John :)

I don't have a great deal of faith in Waxoyl, but its occasions such as these where it does have its place......at least you can get full coverage.
I've also found grease better than Waxoyl for protecting brake pipes. An irritation though is several MOT guys have noted "could not inspect brake pipes as covered in grease" seeming to imply the grease was there to cover up corrosion, rather than prevent it!

Sponsored Links
Its amazing the lengths the punter will go to, to hide things from the tester......so much underseal on the brake pipes that you can't get near etc :eek:
Even though they may be wafer thin.

Back