Corrosion of suspension components

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I did some work on my 2004 Berlingo for its MOT. New front discs and pads, some new sections of brake pipe that had been a previous advisory. While underneath I noticed that the rust on the back axle was worse than ever, to my untrained eye it looks like an old ship's anchor that's been pulled from the sea:
IMG_20201020_090439669.jpg

Anyway, it passed without any advisories but I did wonder at what point something like this becomes an issue? I presume it's somewhat overengineered and the rust has formed a bit of a protective coating but it can't last forever!

P.S. I have ordered some new bump stops, clearly they don't like 600kg of concrete blocks sitting on them.

Sponsored Links
Looks pretty hideous, doesn't it.....however, they are strong enough where it matters.
However, some points to look out for.
Look at the rear wheels from a distance back .....any excess negative camber (bottom of the wheels further out than the top) means that the axle suspension bushes - in the ends of the long tube- are about to go AWOL, and this is usually accompanied by a 'boing' noise when going slowly over bumps.
Ensure the tyre isn't rubbing against the trailing arm.
If this is severe, the axle locks up in the loaded position and doesn't like coming back down :eek:
New rear axles are available from Eurocarparts for around the £300 mark, so all isn't lost, but fitting is a bit awkward and drawn out - although I have done two.
I'm surprised those brake pipes look so good!
John :)

i often think it would be a good idea if carmakers used more paint on the underside of their cars.

And some grease, on nuts, bolts and moving parts.

Sponsored Links
You and me both.....in the Berlingo case, the bodywork is generally excellent but subframe and suspension components are always overlooked.
At least with this van, the shock absorbers are mounted to the axle on both ends.
John :)

Back