Brake Shoe Lining Thickness

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
@Burnerman
Any idea what the min thickness for the linings of rear (drum brake) shoes on a Berlingo van should be ?

Can't seem to find the answer on the web and just thought you might know.

Sponsored Links
You'll notice on occasion that one of the brake shoes is actually thicker, lining wise, than the other.....this is because the leading shoe gets a little more wear than the trailing one as the wheel cylinder operates - called the 'self servo' effect.
Anyway, I'd go for 2mm minimum on these as the handbrake becomes a little less effective when the linings are thinner.....the self adjusters on these aren't the best.
Perhaps more importantly, do check that the lining isn't ready to depart from the shoe itself - it's only riveted linings that stay put and bonded, or stuck on linings do come adrift if some rust develops between the lining on the shoe.
John :)

@Burnerman
Any idea what the min thickness for the linings of rear (drum brake) shoes on a Berlingo van should be ?

Can't seem to find the answer on the web and just thought you might know.

The general rule used to be replace if one shoes at its thinist part, gets to 1/16 of an inch.

Sponsored Links
Been having a bit of grinding noise from nearside rear brake, popped the drum off this morning, a bit dirty but nothing excessive, linings looked in good condition 4.5 to 5mm thick (not inc metal) inside of drums nice and shiny. Put it back together and the noise hasn't really gone away - I'm a bit puzzled.

Brakes seem to be working ok, can easily stop it with just the handbrake. And the shiny inside of the drums indicate they are being used.

self adjuster seems a little stiff but is turning.

The drum catching the backplate maybe? Best try with the wheel on to feel for any bearing play.
I tend to grind off the rust wear lip on the edge of the drum, makes removal so much easier in the future.
John :)

Back