brakes binding mondeo mk3 2002

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi to all.
i dont know where to start really but here goes!

the problem started with a very loose handbrake so i got underneath and watched the lever on the caliper and the o/s rear one wasnt moving(i had this problem 6 months ago and the lever freed up with some wd 40 )now its rearing its ugly head again!! ive sprayed it again and its a little looser but nowhere near the one on the otherside.ive had the pads out on the o/s and the outer one is nearly worn out but the inner one has a lot more friction material on it.ive also done a clean up but when the job is done and the wheel back on you can still here rubbing as though the pads are cathing the disc.its only doing it on the off side rear. : the front brakes seem ok.

could there be a seizure somewhere or possibly air??have i dropped a ******* somewhere? throughout ive used haynes but im just thinking i didnt remove the brake fluid filler cap(could this be a problem??)the piston went in okand i lined the long notch up with the pip .i was fairly confident at doing this but now im bewildered.could anybody help me please?? thankyou ps i hope ive made sense

Sponsored Links
it sounds like the o/s outer pad is still catching, i assume you have cleaned all the rust and brake dust off the pads, and the pad carriers (best with a file)
if you have i would suggest a new set of pads as ford are revising them constantly for this problem, also check the caliper sliding bolts are free and that the caliper can slide freely with minimal effort, using copper grease is recommended
with regards to the excessive travel on the handbrake, back in 2002/2003 we had to change all mondeo handbrakes because they were originally fitted with automatic adjusters that didn't work, causing excessive travel, we replaced them with manual adjusting handbrakes, remove the gaitor around the handbrake and check to see if there is a 10mm nut on a threaded bar, if so you have the latest one, if not, take it to ford and get them to replace it for free

thankyou dave for your help.i think ill have to have another look. and get some new pads.ditto the handbrake(if its the auto type do ford replace it for free??.
i was told yesterday at work that there is a caliper problem on the mk3...they said something about a worm inside the housing?? :confused: due to moisture ingress the whole unit packs in once again thanks ,ill keep you updated ;)

Sponsored Links
Back