mk 3 mondeo handbrake question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi here goes with another question on my bloody brakes.
after having new calipers,discs and pads on the rear,the travel on the handbrake is fairly excessive and only just got through the test.
ive had the center cosole off today and noticed that there is slight travel,maybe an inch before it takes up the primary cable.could this be that the lever has gone internally?(i know that early mark 3s have had problems with this self adjusting lever.somethings telling me that its this that has gone or could it be cable stretch??.ive priced the cables up at 13 squid each at the local but no joy on the lever which they tell me its ford only(£50+).ive been told also that on the later mk3 they changed the lever to manual adjust. i hope someone can help me,there must be someone out there thats having the same problem!!
its the travel on the lever thats bugging me?? thanks

Sponsored Links
there was a recall that changed to manual adjustment. also a recall that changed to a different version of auto adjuster. only covered certain vin numbers iirc.

13 quid is a steal for the cables by the way. usually 2 new cables (you changed the calipers?) will fix the excessive travel. cables dead easy to change.

hi mate,yep i changed the calipers.i think its 13 squid each so bout 30 with vat.what your opinion on the lever mate??
thanks for you advice

cables are really common for stretching and seizing. i would replace them first. haven't changed a lever in years (i left ford when they were being replaced under recall)

i do quite a few taxis at the moment. cables usually sorts them.

by the way, i pay £15.86 + vat from local factors each cable. might have to have a word with them re prices :)

Sponsored Links
howd davieboy,you can always rely on you to reply ;) with some good advice!!
im gonna order some cables(i class my self as a northerner but im south of you..sheffield..so its cheaper down south ;) :)
incidently i rang the local scrap about a lever and quoted 20-25 + vat which sounds ok if the levers fekked.
im pretty chuffed to have had ago at the brakes cos im a novice with an haynes : :confused: and i think ive saved some money albeit the missus gets possed off cos im underneath it all the time lol!!
just slightly off topic..the cars been rattling for quite a while now and getiing progressivly worse....mange to root the cause...auxillary belt tensioner..i found it qiute easy to do with a little help from tinternet.(plastic cover then 15mm socket to release tension and 10mm to take 2 bolts off.
anyway cheers matey ..hope i can come bak for sum sound advice in future ;)

hi anybody changed cables without dropping exhaust?? the rubber hangers seemm a bugger to get off

Back