Brakes coming on whilst driving! Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.
I went for a lttle drive (about 3 miles) when all of a sudden one of the brakes sqreeched, I pulled over and all was fine. I carried on the journey to my house and it done it again (as if I am wacking my brakes on)Sqreeeeeeech!

I think it is just the one brake (rear offside) drivers side.
Can any one shed any light....cos I believe this to be veru hazardous.
Thanks

mod moved as posted in wrong forum

Sponsored Links
hello

you don't say what make of car or what age

if its a ford i know of some common faults

You're not wearing those big clown shoes again and catching the brake as you depress the clutch or accelerator :LOL:

seriously though, I've found this a problem if Ihave my safety shoes on, especially in BMW's or Honda's

It is a Vaukhall Cavalier 1.8 (J plate).
I am sorry to say that it has nothing to do with my footwear!

No, before, I have tried to pull away in the morning (to go to work) and the damn car doesn't want to move.....I have called the AA before cos of this and the AA man whached the offending wheel with a hammer and it was cool.

So I reckon now, it must be sticking (Seizing) brake pads or something, either way, it needs looking at cos it did scare me!

Sponsored Links
Theory; pads aren't releasing as they should when you take your foot off the brake; they heat up (as does the disc) and expand until the friction between them overcomes the rotational force, and they bind; effectively, putting the brakes on.

Time to visit your GM dealer or other friendly mechanical emporium, methinks.

Regards, Graham

Its also not unusual for the handbake mechanism itself or the cables to seize where they come through the backplate. Eitherway you need to remove the drums to check. Seen a few Vauxhalls like that, if its stuck first thing,after standing, it usually releases if you back up first.

OK, thank you all for the good advice.

I know absolutely nowt bout cars.....how much is this going to cost me do you all think?

Thanks

Just to give a rough idea of cost, on my 2001 Astra it cost about £40 to have them clean and adjust the rear brakes (wheels off job), at the Vauxhall main dealers. That is 1 hour labour.

If parts or lots of labour are involved you will be paying more.

However, there is a very good chance it could cost a lot more than that! Don't walk in expecting it will cost £40!!! Take the above not so much as rule of thumb as "rule of half a knuckle of a little finger".

had this on my cavalier, and the cure was a new spring kit for the back brakes been fine since.
If you think its the fronts possibly the flexi hose braking up inside

I am pretty certain it is the rear drivers side wheel!
I will see my local garage and see what they have to say, thanks all for you help

If it happens again,try pulling on the handbrake (gently,with the button pushed in)and see if it affects it - this is the easiest way to see if any braking problem is front or rear wheels.
It is normally rear wheels,and can be caused by brake adjusters going "over-cam" and jamming the shoes,or by fluid leakage causing sticking (have you checked your brake fluid level?)

As with anything involving safety,if not confident,take it to a garage.

I had this on my old Astra and it was a rear brake cylinder. Not quite sure why (if they go it's usually the seals leaking and failing to work), but it 'jammed' out and wouldn't return after I pressed the brakes. Easy fix though.

Sponsored Links
Back