Brambles in the turf

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear all, Brambles in the Turf! - no its not a new number one hit for Elton John! its the thing that has disolved me to tears!

I have been turfing the garden bit by bit, before turf it was a wild mess with brambles etc. So I put down deep root first, waited then turfed., The turf is taking well but the brambles are coming back through the lawn BIG TIME!

I have been puting killer on the leaves with a paint brush hoping to get rid of them but they seem to be coming bacl with a vengance. Other than digging it all up again and riddling it again has anyone an suggestions?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
you could try sbk as it doesn't kill grass, having never experienced brambles in a lawn, I can't say how succesful it would be but sbk states it will kill bramble

Fruitloop501, I would be interested to hear if the sbk did the trick and if not how was you able to rid yourself of the brambles?

Thank you.
Michael.

Sponsored Links
if you mow it once a week you will take the bramble shoots off and they will die.

few plants can withstand being mown. apart from grass, the others are low-growing lawn weeds.

SBK wil kill things thatt are not grass but is not recommended for new lawns.

Thanks JohnD for the reply. Would this be the same for Stinging Nettles also (stinging nettles being the technical term I remember from my childhood :)).

Thank you.

yes as far as I know. nettles need a rich soil full of nitrogen, so unless you are peeing in your garden they will not thrive except by the compost heap or grass cuttings, or the pony's stable.

I like the speed of the replies on this forum. Fantastic. Thank you.

We don't have a horse / pony, so tomorrow I'll be having a word with the children to find out which one of them can't hold it until they can get to the bathroom!

you can also paint them with a very strong solution of a systemic wedkiller.

Thank you, will take it on board for when I get round to that part of the garden.

Although as we're on about weeds and the like, have you heard of Japanese (or possibly Chinese) weeds? Something like is what I heard the stuff growing up from the front of my house is called. I have tried digging them out, weed killers of many descriptions but nothing gets rid of them. Any ideas?

Virtually any plant will be killed off after 2 years, if you do the following.

Let new growth from plant reach 3 to 6 ", then cut off at ground level, keep doing this and you will eventually exhaust the roots, and they will die.

Maybe, not so sure about these Japanese variety though - maybe they don't adhere to the rules ;).

japanese knotweed is a completley different kettle of fish. It is extremley strong and virulant. The best option is a very strong solution of systemic weedkiller, with repeated applications.

You also need to be very careful how you dispose of it, as there are certain regulations regarding it. Best to burn any you remove.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back