Branch to shaver socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
There's an electric heater in our bathroom with cable running to it from a fused spur.

We don't have a shaver socket for toothbrushe etc

Would running 2 wires out from the spur, 1 to heater and another one to an MCB then to shaver socket be acceptable?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
It would probably be alright - following all the requirements for a bathroom.

Did you really mean 'MCB' - Miniature Circuit Breaker? Hardly necessary.

1664888471323.png

The circuit must be covered by an RCD - Residual Current Device. Is there one in the consumer unit?

Yes you are right, I meant RCD but typed MCB :-/
This is the one, image below.
So 2 wires from the spur, 1 to the heater and the other to this RCD then down to shaver socket ?.
Many thanks !
16648935486138347546030961592969.jpg

So 2 wires from the spur,
Yes - from the Fused Connector Unit - the cable is the spur.

1 to the heater and the other to this RCD then down to shaver socket ?.
I don't know the locations and assuming there are no RCDs in the consumer unit and -
switches must not be within 600mm of the bath or shower.

Why do you not swap the existing FCU for the new RCD FCU and just run two cables to the heater and shaver?

What is the rating (Watts) of the heater?

Sponsored Links
acceptable?
To whom? One a bathroom is a special location, I know most ignore that, but if your going to have some one likely to complain, then the cost of notifying the LABC is silly, also it's a type AC RCD FCU and not seen any to BS EN numbers now required. To comply in real terms must be in the consumer unit due the the BS EN numbers.

Would I worry about it, no I would just do it, but if it is part of a bigger job which is under LABC then no, or if rented property and some one will need to write out an EICR again no would not do it. But own house I would except for two things, one I have no teeth, and two I support a large beard, and I see no reason to re-charge items in a bathroom, if I had an electric tooth brush I would charge it in my bedroom. And I trim beard in the hall as nice big mirror, and easy to vacuum after, but if I wanted a shaver socket I would fit one, and would not be worried about not complying with letter of the law/regulations.

Why do you not swap the existing FCU for the new RCD FCU and just run two cables to the heater and shaver?

What is the rating (Watts) of the heater?
Thank you, yes this was my first thought but was not sure if it was an option.
The bathroom heater is a diplex 2kw down flow heater.
Thanks again

Why does a shaver socket require a RCD? It is an isolated device.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back