Branching before a stop cock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i am redoing my kitchen and the old rising main and stop cock sits right on the join of two cabinets.

The supply needs to be split in two directions, almost immediately, after the current stop cock.

I was thinking of teeing the supply, and then having two stopcocks which i can easily get to . One for down stairs and and one for upstairs.

Is there any specific requirements about sweating, or adding joins before the stop cock.

The stop cock in the road is easy to get to and works well, so it should be easy enough to switch it off and suck out enough water for it to sweat.

Thanks in advance.

Adrian

Sponsored Links
Do it :cool:

Would be an idea to put a check valve and draincock on each though.

Cheers Doitall,

Will the check valves reduce the pressure in the system?
I have quite low pressure and low flow, so am a little worried about adding anything to reduce it further.

When you say check, i am guessing single check.

Adrian

Bristol should have a good pressure, do you mean flow rate.

Single checks may slow it a tad, but not enough to worry, unless it's really bad.

Keeping the size up to 22mm would help the flow rate a bit.

Sponsored Links
Thanks do it all,

I branched the supply, and it all went okay. Until i realized i had stop cock, drain off then the check valve....

Note to all stopcock, checkvalve then the drain off.

Cheers for the advice..
Adrian

you might have a problem if you decide to have a water meter fitted
as you are not allowed to branch off before the main stop tap only thing they can do is to put your meter outside undergrond but a few water companies dont like them that way as they have to send someone to read the meter twice a year

mick

you might have a problem if you decide to have a water meter fitted
as you are not allowed to branch off before the main stop tap only thing they can do is to put your meter outside undergrond but a few water companies dont like them that way as they have to send someone to read the meter twice a year

mick

The service pipe and stopcocks are the property of the building owner.

You can do what you like within the water regs. And certainly what the OP has done meets all the regs.

Thanks for the reassurance that i have done right...

Them water regs! I still dont quite understand why a double check valve built into a bib tap isnt acceptable. I reckon the water regs has a royality on inline double check valves or something...

Cheers for all the advice....

Outside taps with built in double check are acceptable, just not very good unless you can get all the water out in the winter, as the frost 4****s them up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back