Brand new toilet, awful flush.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Don't know if anyone has any suggestions, but my new toilet has a dreadful flush. It's a close coupled type and I had it fitted by my mate who's a plumber, so I know it's been done properly. It takes two flushes just to get rid of any amount of paper. I know that we are supposed to be trying to conserve water with these modern toilets, but if you have to flush them two or three times it defeats the object. I don't know if it's possible to change the innards so the water would drain faster. I will ask my mate, but I thought in the meantime, someone on here may have some experience of this.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
The water regulations limit the amount of water in the flush.

To combat this the hole is narrower so the same velocity applies.

Sometimes you do have to flush twice but it still saves water.

If you are bothered then get a water meter so you can see the savings.

Tony

Well, I did the obvious thing today, I looked inside the cistern to find that even with the float set at it's highest, there's sod all water in the cistern. Even if I were to fill it manually the overflow still wouldn't allow hardly any water in there. I'm going to ask my mate if there's a syphon system that can be fitted that will fill the cistern up further. There's nothing wrong with the flush velocity, it just doesn't flush long enough. I expect a toilet to flush away the nasty stuff on the first attempt. If a close coupled one isn't available I'll go back to a normal toilet that works.

Sponsored Links
All compliant toilets have a maximum flush volume of SIX litres !

What you expect and what the regulations provide might be different!

Tony

Six litres! That's pathetic, we had to flush the bloody thing 3 times earlier after my daughter had done her business in it. Eighteen litres of water when ten or twelve would have done it. That's not conserving water. Do you know of a syphon that would go further up my cistern so it fills up?

If all else fails I'll buy a secondhand toilet, with a proper flush.

It would be illegal to make a new cistern flush with more than 6 litres.

The toilets 30 years ago used 7.5 litres which is not a lot more but they were markedly better at flushing.

Some 60 years ago were about 9 litres and the high level ones were very noisy compared with the current quiet designs.

Tony

Looks like I'll be getting a high level toilet from somewhere. I'm not worried about noise, I just want the s**t to flush away. I've better things to be doing than hanging around for a cistern to fill up 3 times.

The powers that be should think about things properly before they come up with these ridiculous laws.

My number 2 was big enough to displace all the water this morning, but 6 litres shifted it without a problem... bog roll 'n all.

Was that too much information? :oops:

There is another point - a lot of toilets now have two levels of flush - 1 for no.1s and more for no.2s.
Some have two buttons (small flush and big flush) but others only have a single button. The single button type you have to hold the button down for the duration of the flush to get the no2 flush !

If there is a fault with the flush you may not be getting the big flush at all. Does the water go right down in the cistern ? I suppose you could measure it by filling it with a measuring jug back to the set level to see if you are getting your full 6 litres !! (have to turn the water off ).

Hi there,

Get yourself a FLUIDMASTER Flapper valve installed.

Drops all the water out out in one lump so ha a lot more force behind it.

Rico

Is a "flapper valve" something you have surgically implanted to reduce the volume of no.2's, or is it a device that is fitted onto the toilet?!

Hi I have had quite a few simmilar problems with c,c pans from a certain Big & Quiet DIY store. it seems there is a narrowing in the neck of the trap of a huge batch of W.C pans from them, have had 6 changed now..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back