Brand new toilet not flushing enough

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've just had our loft converted, and a new bathroom installed. The soil pipe connects onto the one of the bathroom below. The new toilet does not want to flush solids, or even paper properly, even when holding down the button for ages. Even a second flush only gets about 80% of the paper. After only a couple of weeks and a handful of uses we have a disgusting brown line around the pan where the waste has just been sitting. We know the pipe isn't blocked as the toilet below is flushing fine, and the water empties in this toilet as well. So I can only think that the toilet is at fault. I've fiddled with the cystern a little, and raised the water fill level but this isn't really helping. Is there anything else I should try, or should I just admit defeat and buy a different toilet? I'm wondering if maybe its just a bit too 'low flush' to be useful.

Sponsored Links
Yeah, the most obvious answer.

Phone the guy back that fitted it, you are covered under the Goods & Services Act

Not so simple- after three months taken to do snagging, threats of legal action and finally money withheld. Would rather find the solution myself.

On some cisterns holding the button down gives a short flush have you tried a quick push and release?

PS did you get the builders back about the dribble in your previous post?

Sponsored Links
It doesn't matter how we hold down the button unfortunately. Long hold gets more water but the paper just floats to the top, swirls around and stays in he bowl. Coming back later you then find yucky sludge in the bottom even after it seems to have flushed properly and only a second flush will clear it. I don't think its the flush button or user error, it's either a low flush toilet that doesn't have sufficient flush or I'm guessing the flapper isn't opening for long enough? I just don't know how to improve it. Can you get a new flush mechanism or is it down to the size of the cystern being too small?

The previous post was about another toilet. I fixed it myself actually.

Does the cistern empty when flushed? Plenty of aftermarket flush units around if it is simply that. It might just be a c***, Or T***-rate toilet :D

Have you tried flushing with a bucket containing the volume of water the flush operates with? If it will not clear it might be a problem with the stack, air admittance valve stuck or stench pipe blocked, even a poor fall away from the pan.

What happens if you tip a full bucket of water into the pan, does it clear everything straight away.
Sounds like there is sme sort of blockage from the pan into the soil pipe.

I'll give it a try when I get home and report back. I hope the stack isn't blocked as it was installed new with the toilet.

Haven't had chance to try the bucket yet but am wondering, how can if be blocked if the water is going down fine? The level doesn't rise and it isn't slow to drain. It's more like the water just isn't pushing the waste sufficiently hard? Will try the bucket when I get a chance but thinking this might not be the issue?

Two possibilities you will be checking with the bucket, one the stack has poor ventilation so the waste has a kind of back pressure effect, the other is just to check that the amount the cistern delivers will flush ok, before looking further.

If it's a syphon & not a flush valve, then maybe the small plug that goes on the syphon is not fitted?? If that's the case, it'll break the sypnonic action & only give a small flush of one or two litres.
HTH

If the contents of the pan are rolling it sounds like a faulty pan sump design
Could also be vent pipe blocked with a durgo or similar

Sorry, I've just read this again & can now see it's a button, so it'll be a flush valve.

If the cistern water level is OK & up to the 6Ltr mark, then perhaps the flush valve is faulty or not aligned properly?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back