1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Brand recommendations for replacement type 21 and 22 mild steel radiators?

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by c128, 16 Mar 2020.

1. c128

c128

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi,

We've had 3 of our existing radiators start to leak over the last month, and I suspect more to start leaking soon (if they're representative of the lot). They're all about 15 years old, so have had a good run (I guess?). The 3 that have started failing are all leaking from the same place - they've rusted around the welded joint that connects to the actual panel, and are slowly dripping from there. The system has always had inhibitor in place, and a few years ago that was flushed and renewed when I had a new boiler fitted... They were cheapo radiators though - "Heatline", maybe? I can't remember, and there's no info on them.

Anyway, I'd like to replace all of them - they're all either type 21 or type 22, all 400mm tall (which I need to stick to) with widths between 400mm and 1600mm.

What's generally considered a good mild steel radiator brand these days?

Thanks!

2. Sponsored Links
  3. Theweeknd

Theweeknd

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Stelrad is what I use.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. denso13

denso13

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Toolstation have some good deals at the moment, no issues using them.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. muggles

muggles

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Stelrad

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. c128

c128

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks.

Just looked at the Stelrad range, and their minimum height looks to be 450mm.

That would *just* about work, I guess - I've got two type 22s, and one type 21 that need to fit in the spaces below low window sills though - they would fit, but they'd almost be at the height of the sill itself (fitting them lower would, I think, look a bit silly, and I'd rather not mess with the current pipework if I can just swap the new ones in). Could work though.

Are there any other brands worth looking at? Not so fussed about the price if they last.

7. ServiceNumpty

ServiceNumpty

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Purmo, Barlo Compact.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Sponsored Links
  9. c128

c128

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks Mike - Purmo look interesting, not heard of them - easily have the same height/widths I've got now.

Hadn't twigged that the Barlo delta compact radiators are available from Toolstation either (mentioned by denso13 above) - that would make getting them a bit easy for me. Will have a look over those too.

Added Later

Although Toolstation don't have any radiators at 400mm height by the looks of it - still, maybe from elsewhere then.

10. Ryler

Ryler

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom

Have Mysons in my home which were installed back in 1978 and still going strong.
    Replaced a couple a few weeks ago for larger size and stuck with myson.
    Very expensive I found out but very well finished.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. bsr

bsr

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I am happy with the Kudox brand from both screwfix and Toolstation. screwfix have plenty of 400 high radiators next day delivery.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. c128

c128

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks all for the recommendations.

I could *nearly* get all of them from screwfix if I went for Kudox...bar an odd little 400x400 I need ;) . Myson and Barlo look good too.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. denso13

denso13

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    A lot of these things come down to the fitting rather than the brand. I know they are not exactly the same but if they are fitted properly on a clean system, with inhibitor added, there really isn't much to chose between them.

Perhaps availability and appearance are more important.

14. sxturbo

sxturbo

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Since barlo went bust and were bought out by purmo, from what I can find it looks like they've ditched the delta compact range, likely to not affect the purmo compact sales

15. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local