Brass olives leaking should I overtighten?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, installed some isolation valves and installed some new copper 15mm pipe I was going to go full push to fit but the tap connector didn't fit the push to fit so I had to go for compression. The issue is in the past the olives have been copper and it felt easier to make a seal. Currently I have 5 leaks, small drips but it's still not acceptable. I'm scared to overtighten them as I expect if I keep tightening the olive will split like with copper olives and I'll be left in a worse place.

Should I undo all the pipes replace the olives with copper and try again, should I try and tighten them past what I think is the maximum it should be tightened? Or should I undo the joints keep the brass olives that I've already tightened and add some plumbers tape to each pipe?

What would be the safest?

Thank you in advance

Sponsored Links
1. If you are talking new pipe, new olives and new fittings, then tightening them should be OK. Normal tightness is of course a bit of an experience and feel sort of thing, but you won't go far wrong with (from the start):
1a. Firm finger tight.
1b. An additional 1/2 turn with a spanner while holding the fitting stationary.
1c. "Nipping up" by up to a further 1/4 to 1/2 turn if there is a slight weep.
2. If you are using old pipe which has previously had an olive on it, or still has an olive on it, then if the olive has been compressed into the pipe you need to replace that part of the pipe with new pipe and start from scratch.
3. One "belt and braces" approach:
3a. Do up finger tight plus 1/2 turn spanner.
3b. Undo joint, check olive is firm on pipe.
3c. Wrap 4 or 5 turns of ordinary (not gas) PTFE around the olive.
3d. Re-assamble with an extra 1/4 turn.
4. Another belt and braces:
4a. Wipe a thin line of Jetlube V2 around the inside of the "Vees" on the fitting and nut.
4b. Make sure there is no V2 inside the fitting.
4c. Assemble and tighten as usual.
4d. Other people prefer other sealants than V2 - fine but make sure if potable water the sealant is approved.
5. Unless you really mangle the joint I don't see how you can split an olive.
6. Copper olives do require less force than brass.

Sponsored Links
With brass olive I take them to the squeak point, you can then 'feel' the olive being compressed. That being said I always replace the brass olives with copper, I buy them in packs of 100.

Put the nut and the olive on the pipe, smear of paste around the end of the pipe, put the fitting together. Tighten.
Don't use ptfe on compression joints, just don't.

Don't use ptfe on compression joints, just don't ...... Doesn't make it right.
Doesn't make it wrong either

Not on new fittings/olives of course but remaking used compression joints .... wouldn't use anything else on the olives ... 1 wrap of gas tape avoids any calls backs, used it for years. Paste just ends up a sticky mess for the next person to clean up IMO. Horses for courses.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back