Grooved Brass Olives for Compression Fittings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorting through my boxes of plumbing bits I found some of my brass 1/2" & 3/4" (15/22mm if you like!) olives had two narrow grooves cut round the outside. It seems that the purpose is to allow the olives to compress more easily as the compression nut is tightened.
I've had a look in various plumbing shops, but the only olives seem to have a plain surface with, in some cases, a chamfered edges, whether brass or copper. A Google search produced the only response from an Italian company Caleffi.
I'm not sure whether they were obtained with compression fittings or bought as a packet.
Are these grooved brass olives still available, probably not because of the extra machining costs....?

RodF

Sponsored Links
Sounds more like an olive for alkathene than for copper, although you say youra are brass, whereas MDPE/alkathene olives are normally made if copper. Conex fig 51, for example:
140.jpg

Peglar/terrier supply these with the radiator valves , you'll find they are very thin , what i do is toss em in the scrap bag & use a copper olive.

K978b from Yorkshire.

Groved olives still come in some fittings, the imperial rings used to have Te grove painted green hence the term "green rings".

Sponsored Links
Thank you for all the replies. The olives are not thin but quite substantial, the edges are perhaps slightly thicker than the ordinary smooth olives and were for copper pipes - I do not have any plastic water pipes in the house. The central area between the grooves is painted black on these not green.
I would post an image within the text like Charnwood, but I haven't worked out the procedure yet, it seems the system wants me to generate an album?!

Many things come with groved olives and your right they are not thin and do grab the pipe a bit better.
Not just water fitting but also gas fittings

I'm sure I've had a few conex fittings in the past with grooved brass olives. Most seem to come with copper these days.

Most seem to come with copper these days.
Pegler, Conex and Kuterlite fittings for copper all come with brass olives as standard. Of those brands, only Pegler offer a copper olive for use on copper tube.
Imported brands all seem to be copper olives.

A Kuterlite thick land compression ring (uckfay knows where the name came from. Perhaps some of the older, more doddery members might know ;) ) for adapting a metric fitting to take imperial pipe is a 978C, not B.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back