Brazed copper joints safe to ......° ?

• Thread starter Captain Nemesis
  • Start date
C

Captain Nemesis

Ive got an old copper hot water cylinder, and Im toying with the idea of upcycling it to a firepit.

No idea of design yet but its going to need legs/supports/frame, and soldered joints arent going to last long...

Does anybody know if brazed joints would withstand the temperatures?

I dont mind buying a decent MAPP torch.

Sponsored Links
Think of brazing as a high temperature soldering, therefore you’ll need a brazing spelter which has a lower melting point than the copper - the ‘base or parent’ metal.
A high silver content spelter is probably best and definitely a suitable flux.....brazed joints would withstand the temperatures envisaged.
The copper cylinder is very thin unfortunately so you’ll have to be very careful with the Mapp gas!
You could of course use copper pop rivets which could be easier.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Normal solder melts around 200 deg and copper at around 1100 deg ( if memory serves) so a silver solder can flow around 700 deg so everything is possible.
I’ve no idea if this project is possible or feasible, of course.....I’m not sure what a fire pit is, and whether the fire directly contacts the copper.

Normal solder melts around 200 deg and copper at around 1100 deg ( if memory serves) so a silver solder can flow around 700 deg so everything is possible.
I’ve no idea if this project is possible or feasible, of course.....I’m not sure what a fire pit is, and whether the fire directly contacts the copper.

The fire will be in direct contact with the copper. some use charcoal in them

62665_8.jpg

aa1ad251d4c421ed8109989ada980b52--rustic-fire-pits-copper-fire-pit.jpg

Water-Heater-Recycling-Ideas-02.jpg

The last ones a bit industrial looking, and the first 2 a bit beyond my skill level. Just a bit confused between people saying it will melt and the photos of copper fire pits out there. Done a bit of looking, and wood doesnt burn hot enough to melt copper.

Weigh it in and buy a proper one. The ones you picture probably have much thicker walls than your old cylinder.

I just did my annual scrap clear out and got £85 for a pile of rubbish (old car batteries, bucket of copper and brass, kitchen sink, a few old washing machine and starter motors etc). I think I got over £80 just for my cylinder a few years ago.

Some of those upcycled things look like a fireman's picket line and as for the washing machine drums!!!

Its not about the money. I could just go and buy one without needing to flog the old cylinder. Did wonder about wall thickness though.

depends what you are burning, typical firewood in a sensible sized fire and I doubt it will melt copper, charcoal or coal maybe, Coke almost certainly.

Weigh in the copper, old gas cylinders/car wheels can make good burners

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back