Bread maker trips RCD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We were recently given a Goodmans bread maker that has not been used for approx 9 years (stored in a garage for all that time).

Tonight, when testing it for the first time, it tripped the house electrics at around 2 hours 45 mins into the 3 hours 45 mins cycle. Given the warmth too, I assume this is when started trying to cook the bread (the mixing/kneading seemed to work fine). The RCD then constantly tripped when trying to turn it back on until the bread maker was unplugged.

I read somewhere the elements can get moisture in when stored in the garage, which can cause the trip, which is a possibility.

I'm wondering if there's anything I should try, perhaps:
-leave near a radiator for a few days for the element to dry before trying again.
-try on a different circuit in the same house
-anything else???

Or should we concede it's knackered and bin it?

Sponsored Links
It is true that heating elements on appliance can cause RCDs to trip.
As suggested you could have a faulty one or possibly moisture ingress to the element has occurred.

You could try drying out the element (hair-dryers can be useful).
But would not rule out that element is ready to fail, it could be possible for it still to have some life left on a unprotected circuit, how long?
Dependant on make, a new element approx £20.00

I know this post is old but others might find it useful.
After garage storage, my Morphy Richards Breadmaker Fastbake 48281 kept blowing trip switches when heater came on. I removed the heater element and baked it in an oven (180C/1hr), then on reassembly it worked OK.
Oven heating reduced the cold leakage to earth from 700Kohm to >2Mohm. Measurement were taken with a cheapo multimeter between a heater terminal and the metal sheath. (Same values were obtained between the earth and live pins on the mains plug in the assembled condition).
This method works either because the heat drives off moisture, or thermal movements/oxidation break tiny conduction paths.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back