Oven trips RCD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've got a Belling dual fuel range cooker that is about 10 years old and was installed when the house was new. About a week ago, while the main oven was on, the house's main RCD switch tripped. On resetting the trip, the main oven would no longer heat up, leading me to believe that the element needed replacing. (This happened once before a few years ago and replacing the element solved the problem that time.)

However, during the last few days the RCD has tripped several times whilst using both the side oven and the grill (although not every time we use these). It has also tripped when I plugged another item (the vacuum cleaner) into the socket attached to the cooker isolation switch.

I wondered if there was a problem with the isolation switch so I have now replaced this, but the RCD has tripped again since whilst using both the side oven, the grill and the socket (though only when the isolation switch is on; it has never tripped with the switch off).

Incidentally, when the RCD trips, it always seems to trip the main RCD switch, rather than just the oven circuit.

I'm unsure whether I should:
a) replace the main element and see if that solves the problem (although I'm a bit reluctant to do that if there might be another problem that will cause the new element to die straight away!)
b) Get an appliance engineer in to check the oven.
c) Get an electrician in to check the wiring in the house.
d) Replace the oven completely (I've never particularly liked it and would love to get something better, so I'm reluctant to spend too much on trying to fix it)
e) Or is there anything else I could check myself (I'm OK at simple electrical jobs but wouldn't be confident doing anything major!)

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
The fact its still tripping when using a hoover plugged into the cooker socket is conclusive enough to prove its
A) socket, already replaced
B) wiring
C) mcb/rcbo, rcd etc..

Presumably it trips almost immediately after switching on hoover? What else is on the same RCD?

You may want to eliminsate all other ccts by switching all of at consumer unit except cooker ring, see if it still trips.

And yes, you need to replace the oven element. The element has failed badly by the sounds of it, leakage to earth. In turn has tripped the main rcd which you have reset, is there a test button?

Put a thread in the 'Electrics Uk' section but with a more apt title to get a response, rcd tripping?

Might also be pertinent to establish what mains system you are on? TT, TN-S, TN-C-S etc...

Disconnect the main element completely & insulate the cables. See if the problems continue, it could be back feeding from other parts of the oven or socket to the main element that is faulty.

Presumably socket(s) are in deed double pole and not single?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. Yes, it is a dp socket. The RCD seems to manage all the sockets in the kitchen.

I guess my question is whether the failed element can cause the RCD to trip even though the oven is turned off? Think I'll do what jj suggests and take it out tonight, insulating the cables and see what happens. Assuming it doesn't trip again, I'll then order a new element.

To eliminate cooker completely disconnect it!

You will then isolate the problem completely if it is indeed the cooker, you can then troubleshoot the cooker on its own, if not I would suspect the rcd.

To eliminate cooker completely disconnect it!

You will then isolate the problem completely if it is indeed the cooker, you can then troubleshoot the cooker on its own, if not I would suspect the rcd.
RCDs rarely fail & there would be problems with the sockets if it was faulty.

True, overlooked comment regarding 'never tripped when isolation switch off'.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back