Breakfast Bar LED Strip fed from socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'd like to put 12v LED strip lights along the plinth of my breakfast bar. I have a spare 240v socket in one of the cupboards that I could plug the LED transformer to and hide an Inline switch on the 12v side inside a cupboard to switch them on/off.

Is that acceptable from a regulations point of view or as it's a light does it have to be fed from the downstairs light MCB circuit. If so that would be a major job as I have solid floors and no way of picking the lighting circuit up near the breakfast bar.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Perfectly acceptable to use a 13 amp socket to supply some lighting. Only think I would watch is switching on the 12v side as some 'transformers' require a minimum load and won't play nicely with zero load. Also check the transformer won't get too hot inside a cupboard and set fire to the cornflakes.

You can run lights from sockets, however all sockets should be where there is free air ventilation to ensure the fuse in the plug does not over heat, with some built in ovens the socket is behind the oven but in that case the oven fan ensures it does not over heat. Since the light uses very little power it could be OK plugged in inside a cupboard, but you should first test lamps in standard socket, then try in socket in cupboard and see if it gets any hotter or not.

Sponsored Links
Perfectly acceptable to use a 13 amp socket to supply some lighting. Only think I would watch is switching on the 12v side as some 'transformers' require a minimum load and won't play nicely with zero load. Also check the transformer won't get too hot inside a cupboard and set fire to the cornflakes.

Transformers never require a minimum load, nor do LED drivers. PWM switch mode supplies for halogen lamps do but they are not for LEDs anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back