Breaking up concrete - proper technique?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I recently pulled down our garage in order to reclaim the garden and am now left with a fiendish 24ft x 10ft x 6" thick slab of concrete to break up and remove.

I bought an 18kg breaker having been advised it would be up to the task. I've just had a go and progress is demoralisingly slow. I've done maybe a square foot in about half an hour.

The concrete I'm dealing with has stones / hardcore mixed in with it. Is that normal and should the breaker be able to deal with it? The chisel is starting to look blunt already!

The breaker came with a flat and a point chisel. I've been using the flat one so far. Under what circumstances should I use one or the other?

Is there a "proper" technique? I mean, should I be chipping away a sliver at a time, inch by inch, or should I try and carve out a decent sized slab and prise it up?

Any pointers would be greatfully received... Perhaps it's just the wrong tool for the job and I should hire something more heavy duty?

Thanks,

Rob

Sponsored Links
no use th pointed one, it applies the same pressure in a smaller area so it breaks it up.

have you not seen a JCB* breaking up the motorway? although the thing on the end is big, its still round and pointed

jcb.jpg

* other brands of back hoe excavators are available

Sponsored Links
as noseall says you need a bigger breaker for a start. On thick slabs we normally stitch a line of holes across the slab in chunks about 1-2 feet wide. that will ause it to crack and then you can lift it up with a decent pry bar. Once you get the technique its quite easy. Just listen for that satisfying change of tone when the concrete cracks as you drill through it

Thermo's method sounds good. Can you use an sds drill to make the perforations?

not if you want to get the concrete up before your pushing up daisys!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back