Breaking up reinforced concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm in the process of demolishing an old prefab garage, everything was going well until I got down to the strip foundations, it seems the previous owner went a little overkill with the reinforcement and put 30mm thick rebar in it, which is causing me serious grief. The strip is about 300mm wide x 150mm deep, with 2-3 pieces of rebar, any suggestions on the best way to break it up?

So far I've been using a pick axe to expose the rebar, then cutting it with the angle grinder, but it's very slow going, and there's 20 meters of strip to break up. I could use a diamond cutting disc for reinforced concrete, but I think they may wear too quickly when cutting through such thick steel. Another alternative is to rent a hydraulic breaker, never used one before mind...

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
A 5kg breaker to break up a reinforced footing Is a daft suggestion. You need a hydraulic breaker or a mini digger with a rock breaker.

Just hoof it out with a decent sized excavator. A 1.5 tonner will pull out most domestic found's.

Sponsored Links
A 5kg breaker to break up a reinforced footing Is a daft suggestion. You need a hydraulic breaker or a mini digger with a rock breaker.

It's a 15.5kg breaker not the weaker drill type SDS breaker and the strip is only 300cm wide so it should do the job .

Just hoof it out with a decent sized excavator. A 1.5 tonner will pull out most domestic found's.

A 1.5 ton machine is a play toy. Unless concrete is made from porridge where you come from.

A 1.5 ton machine is a play toy. Unless concrete is made from porridge where you come from.
Don't be silly Rog. I've lost count of the amount of conc footings I've hoofed out with 1.5 tonner.

It's about technique, patience and how you use the hydraulics. You get the most leverage power using the front bucket rotation. Once the conc has been freed/loosened from the soils grip it will hoof out.

Its still too small.
Obviously you don't own the machine.

That sounds over the top. Whenever I've needed holes forming in concrete slab the guys that come in to do it generally use a decent sized breaker and diamond saw.

I must admit i have broken out a bit of concrete in my time.

1st off forget hiring a 1.5 ton machine, this may well dig it out, but it certainly wont break it, especially as you say its re-inforced.
Look up your nearest tool hire shop and hire an Hydraulic breaker pack. the guy delivering it is duty bound to offer you operating instruction.
Use the point and basically break the concrete by using the tool from above, I would go at it and just break the concrete and get kit OFF hire.
Now eithr by hand or by way of excavator remove the footings. BTW, how deep are they?? can they not remain??

only 150mm deep, he said, which would be trivial apart from the rebar problem.

only 150mm deep, he said, which would be trivial apart from the rebar problem.
Not to a 1.5 tonne digger. It will pull out a 150mm thick footing (reinforced or otherwise) without so much as a murmur.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back