Breathable membrane problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just been up in the loft, house is a 1920’s semi, and noticed that the existing membrane between the tiles and roof joist (rafters) is worn and torn in several places, some quite badly.

Is there anything I can do besides have the tiles off the roof and relay the whole roof? - I don’t have a big budget for that!

Sponsored Links
Roof shows no sign of leaking, come to think of it, not sure if it’s membrane or felt, it’s old and where it’s torn it has the appearance of a black paper, maybe a pitch paper?? With the possibility of some kind of woven thin thread - couldn’t be certain of that (I need to put a light up there!).

As for the type of title, I really don’t know, they are flat with a slight rough texture to then as if coated in sand. They are not the wavy sort - that’s the best I can do

Sponsored Links
Just looked at a builders merchant website and the tiles look more closely like the Redland plain concrete tile.

My house has no membrane whatsover and has no leaks. I have no plans to put a membrane in either. If you have no leaks then a torn membrane is not an issue.

As above but add the felt isnt there to keep the rain out.

Sounds like sisalkraft underlay. probably concrete plain tile

My house has no membrane whatsover and has no leaks. I have no plans to put a membrane in either. If you have no leaks then a torn membrane is not an issue.
What tiles are covering it? That makes the difference.

name a waterproof underlay, where it states waterproof on the wrapper...
Yeah, I went to a builders merchants today and asked about underlay, they also asked if I had a leak because, they said, underlay isn’t for waterproofing, it is basically draft-proofing! And condensation reducing.

Anyway, he had the suggestion that I buy a large sheet of polystyrene and cut it to size (width between rafters) and shove that in, which will add insulation - any thoughts on that?

Since a roof has loads of tile battens nailed through the membrane wouldnt it be pretty difficult to achieve water tightness -although I appreciate the rafters are the high pojnt since the membrane must sag a little between rafters.

oh really... 10 mm drape , some of the best known names can drip if exposed to any amount of rain

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back