breeze blocks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
has any 1 built a shed out of breeze blocks and then sound pruffing it and used for say a drum kit

Sponsored Links
depending on the sound decibels levels you will need to take into account of the density of the thermalite block and measure the volume of the square root and look up the specs on it combine the 2 and bobs your uncle :D

I am also thinking of doing the same, although I want to soundproof for loud amplifier/speaker combinations.

Thinking of just a breeze block workshop and just lathing the walls and putting 4" loft insulation into the void and boarding with the thick version plasterboard.

Hopefully someone will come up with an easy solution, so we just don't stab in the dark

Cheers

nick

Well for sound insulation, you want mass and therefore not the lightweight thermalite blocks :rolleyes: Use 7N solid concrete.

The blockwork is not the issue as it will be pretty effective. The problems are with sound escaping through doors, windows, the roof, and various junctions of the building - especially the eaves. For covering openings use accoustic curtains or a dense shutter board. For the roof, use a lot of rockwool (not fibreglass)

Inside, don't have bare painted walls. Line the walls with a blown vinyl or cloth paper lining, and have a carpet on the floor - not tiles or laminate. Also consider accoustic tiles for the ceiling

Sponsored Links
like woody, i would say use 7 n concretes. if u dont care about the look, i would do a cavity wall, block external and internal and use a good quality cavity insulation. brick would look better though.

Double wall with cavity wouldn't be an option for me. The workshop would need around 750 blocks, and I don't think I can warrant the expense of another internal wall, thermalite blocks may be cheaper, but 750 of them, a bit over the top for me....

if you do decide to go for a dense concrete block be aware that you may only be able to lay 4 or 5 courses high before they start to buckle, especially if they are wet. ;)

Agreed, concrete for the outer skin. But that alone will not give adequate soundproofing, especially for a drum kit :eek:

You will also need a second inner wall, with rockwool in a wide (min 150mm) cavity. This can be stud and double layer plasterboard, which is relatively cheap and easy to build.

Your soundproof performance will only be as strong as the weakest link in the chain though. So windows and doors will be weak points. You will need very thick glass, and preferably 2 lots of single glazing (one for inner wall, one for outer wall) to make it worth having a window at all. Fire doors for the doors, no question.

Your roof and ventilation points will be weak spots too, this involves a lot more thinking and forward planning. Whatever budget you've come up with, double it!

i built an extension last year and when building it off the scaffold, there was a guy in the house over the fence with a drum kit in his conservatory, and when he played it you couldn't hear a thing but he was wearing earphones so presume it was some sort of electronic kit or something

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back