Breezeblock wall built off floorboards supported by rotten joist

challenged

I agree that the quantity of your challenging questions, which would put Question Time hosted by Heinrich Himmler to shame, are a bit of a b̶o̶r̶e̶ chore.

Someone asks a simple question like "What is a clay brick made of?", and you ask 50 questions ranging from what they had for dinner last Saturday, what size shoe they wear, where they went on holiday in 1987, and what the bloke six doors down thinks of post modernist art.

And then, you want a DVD full of pictures, including electron microscopy and ultrasound.

And then, you give a poxy answer that will take six months and £5.4k to carry out instead of a Sunday morning and a couple of quid.

That's what i find challenging.

Sponsored Links
By the way, where exactly is that joist hanger going?
Go on, have a go - shock me, say something intelligent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bolting-on to a joist in that condition is to add good to bad - fungal decay will affect the sistered joist.
It will also continue to infect the undersides of the floorboards.
No it won't. Wet rot, unlike dry rot, will only attack wet timber. BRE recommend removing structurally damaged timber when affected by wet rot, but it won't spread to a dry piece of timber.

Sponsored Links
:cautious: Spooky.

Just show one of them a bit of wet rot, and you'll know which one is the plank.

ahhhgh!!!! It seems even by blocking his posts, it's still impossible to escape Vinnworld.
Got no idea what convoluted over the top repair he might have suggested this time but provided the OP has sufficient decent timber to fix to woody's suggestion seems perfectly sensible.
If finding/accessing fixings for that is difficult then another option is to take up some more of the floor trim two pieces of timber (one each side of the soil pipe) from the sound joist in front of the pipe back to the wall behind the pipe using masonry hangers, picking up the sound ends of the affected timber(cut out the rotten bit) and then trim another piece between those behind the soil pipe

Thanks everyone for the responses. I have basically done what @^woody^ suggested. Managed to get a bit of timber in behind the rotten bit (had to take up a bit of floor next door). Will get fittings and bolt in place over the weekend. Ta very much, v. useful.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back