Bressumer Beam Replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello all

Im working on a small Victorian Terrace with a Ground Floor Bay Window i recently bought. At some point in the past the Bressumer Beam was removed and upvc windows were installed and the beam was replaced with dry stacks of 2 x 4 resting on the windows (!). Ive rebuilt the internal wall, small cavity and external original bricks and got new upvc windows. I also removed and saved the original coving which was clearly done by hand as its pleasingly wavy and bespoke and original to the house. i want to reinstall the old coving - not least becuase no plasterer wants to come and do four feet of coving. i have a gap between new brickwork and back of coving of about four inches. Can i screw wood into the brickwork and use it as a base to attach the coving to? or am i asking for damp and rot?

i appreciate that the plasterers among you will suggest getting the coving remade but its about four feet linear and im not sure anyone round here would turn out for that or just put a crazy price on it.

suggestions welcome. thanks

Sponsored Links
hello all

Im working on a small Victorian Terrace with a Ground Floor Bay Window i recently bought. At some point in the past the Bressumer Beam was removed and upvc windows were installed and the beam was replaced with dry stacks of 2 x 4 resting on the windows (!). Ive rebuilt the internal wall, small cavity and external original bricks and got new upvc windows. I also removed and saved the original coving which was clearly done by hand as its pleasingly wavy and bespoke and original to the house. i want to reinstall the old coving - not least becuase no plasterer wants to come and do four feet of coving. i have a gap between new brickwork and back of coving of about four inches. Can i screw wood into the brickwork and use it as a base to attach the coving to? or am i asking for damp and rot?

i appreciate that the plasterers among you will suggest getting the coving remade but its about four feet linear and im not sure anyone round here would turn out for that or just put a crazy price on it.

suggestions welcome. thanks
Use plastic/nylon plugs and plastic wedges behind the wood to reduce or remove risk of transfer of damp. Treat the wood / cut ends first

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back