Brick air vent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I would like to fit an air vent through a cavity wall but cannot find any information on how to do it. I guess taking some plaster off, drilling though the mortar to remove a couple of bricks inside and out would do the trick? Also I tried several building suppliers but they don't seem to sell air bricks with a duct. I don't want to insert just air bricks for the rain could get into the cavity and I want to fit it before having cavity wall insulation installed. Any ideas?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Also I tried several building suppliers but they don't seem to sell air bricks with a duct. .
Welcome to the world of building supplies :rolleyes: - You`re better off using the link supplied and finding one online - even paying the postage , it`s cheaper than confronting numerous Counter Monkeys :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

you can get air brick and get ducts seporatly.... for example you can get what are called perascopes that direct air from the air brick under the main floor joist.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for the link to our company in an earlier post.
We now supply a cast iron air brick that fits into Rytons plastic ducting, cavity wall sleeves and periscope vents. More details are available here http://www.castironairbricks.co.uk/Rytons.htm

I note that DIYers are concerned with rainwater gaining access through the openings in the air brick. Rarely is this a problem, even with air bricks facing the west and prevailing wind. the reason for this is that air vents were installed to allow the property to breath. Sure, some days they allow a little damp into the walls and structure, some days when the rain is really bad, they'll even let a little water in. BUT, Over the course of a year in the life of the property, the vents will allow 1000s of m3 of drying wind into the void they vent which will dry out the walls and structure of the house, more often than not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back