1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Brick BBQ - from block paving?

Discussion in 'Building' started by garmcqui, 26 Aug 2019.

1. garmcqui

garmcqui

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Just finished a largish block paving project and have loads of charcoal blocks (200mm x 100mm x 50mm) left over.

Looking at building a brick BBQ, and was wondering if it’s feasible to build it from these instead of normal bricks? Obviously there’s no frogs etc, but should surely be strong enough?

Cheers

2. Sponsored Links
  3. catlad

catlad

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Concrete has a tendency to explode when it gets hot which is basically what they are made from so maybe not a good idea. Maybe someone has built one and can advise different.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Hugh Jaleak

Hugh Jaleak

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    As above, I have a strong suspicion the blocks will explode and fire bits of concrete at you if they get too hot. If you've ever tried soldering copper pipework on a concrete path, you'll know what can happen....

5. garmcqui

garmcqui

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks, suspected the concrete might be an issue with cracking, but exploding blocks - no thanks!

The other option is to build it with bricks similar to the house bricks (since bbq will be up against garage wall anyway).

Problem is - how do I identify the bricks I’ve got? (I’m assuming they’re not concrete? Lol) - they’re 210mm x 65mm

BB72481A-05CA-446F-BE1D-4C2EAD5260A4.jpeg 50B99C91-0D33-4A85-AC07-C33F42B00CF4.jpeg

Last edited: 26 Aug 2019
  6. Sponsored Links
  7. ^woody^

^woody^

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I don't think concrete pavers will be exploding before the sausages are done.

But the big issue when pavers are used as bricks is that they look crap, point up crap, and get stained all over the place with mortar.

8. garmcqui

garmcqui

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks bud.

Any idea what bricks, or even what colour, are in the photos I attached? Cheers

9. stuart45

stuart45

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Colour may be Honey Gold. Hard to be sure from photos and different batches are often a different shade.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. conny

conny

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You could take the photo's to a building supplies and ask if they could help.

11. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links