Brick/block below dpc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am almost at ground level with blocks and architect has specified bricks from ground up to dpc then rendered blocks.

Forgetting planning permission for a second, why would I not build in block entirely, the existing house is render from ground to roof.

I understand I need to have a break in the render at dpc but any other reason not to use blocks?

Sponsored Links
Frost blows the render off, and you can't easily form a break at the DPC.

Your "architect" should have specified bricks from 225mm below ground level, not just from the ground level up to DPC.

Thanks woody,

it’s dense 7n blocks, not lightweights. I’m hoping that makes a difference?

understand regarding render, I’ve got lots of blocks here and no bricks, a lot of spare time and no chance of a delivery so was hoping I could adjust

The blocks themselves are frost resistant, but that location is prone to frost/freeze/thaw and along with the inherent permanent dampness of the wall it makes de-bonding of render very likely.

Sponsored Links
By the sounds of things using a bell cast bead above dpc and rendering the blocks underneath could be a viable option? Unless I’ve missed something

Attachments

• 46377742-0A6B-4DE3-9FF9-A3F65B10EF61.png
    46377742-0A6B-4DE3-9FF9-A3F65B10EF61.png
    819.8 KB · Views: 244
The point is that anything below dpc shouldn’t be rendered as it’s likely to fail. Normally bell cast at dpc involves render above, brick below, for exactly that reason

The point is that anything below dpc shouldn’t be rendered as it’s likely to fail. Normally bell cast at dpc involves render above, brick below, for exactly that reason

Aye your right. I have seen it done though and if the OP is desperado to get it built he could probz do just that.

The one in your pic looks like k-rend above and a thinner coat of something else (sand and cement) below, maybe it got over-rendered above dpc.

The one in your pic looks like k-rend above and a thinner coat of something else (sand and cement) below, maybe it got over-rendered above dpc.

When I’ve done it before usually use a mix of 6:1 building sand cement below the bell cast (dpc) and then roughcast or like you say k rend or whatever above. But I get what ye mean in an ideal world I would use blues or something equivalent

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back