Brick Fire Surround - What to use for a Lintel??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning to construct a brick fire surround but am not sure what to use for a lintel over the opening. It will need to be strong enough to take three or maybe four courses of bricks over an approximately 900mm (35 1/4 inch) opening. Will a flat steel bar do, and if so what thickness and width should it be. I am imagining angle iron (steel) would be more suitable but again I am not sure of the dimensions that would be suitable. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Ben Edwards

Sponsored Links
either suggestion sounds ok. you can buy galvanized steel angle specifically for lightweight jobs such as yours. most lintel companies make them.

Many thanks for the reply. It is good to know I am on the right track. I have searched on the internet for suppliers but have not come up with anything much yet. Can anyone recommend a company that may supply such steel angle preferably around the luton area?

Many thanks,

Ben

catnic are a large, pressed steel lintel manufacturer, as well as birtley and i.g. they all supply to the trade via good builders merchants.

Sponsored Links
Not sure what style or look your going for but I had a sort of large Inglenook built into the end wall of my previous new house, it had a full height brick chimney breast around 2.5 m wide with a hearth opening approx 800mm wide. The hearth opening was formed using a shallow vertical brick arch, keyed in the centre with a special shaped brick (can’t remember what it’s called). The brickie built up to the brick arch over a timber/plywood former, initially up to one course above the centre of the arch; he let this all go off for around a week & then build the rest of the chimney breast up over the top of it’ It looked fantastic when finished & never moved or cracked in the 18 years I lived there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back