Brick gate posts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to build 2 brick gate postsfor a pair of 10ft wide gates
My question is how far apart should I set the posts allowing for hinges etc
In other words what is the normal hinge allowance on a brick gatepost

Sponsored Links
5 foot wide gates are going to have some weight.

We fitted some a while back and were of similar width.

We concreted in a steel column in the ground, welded elongated hooks to the steel then clad the steel in brick (hence the elongated hooks).

I set the whole lot out on the lawn first allowing for all the tolerances needed being aware that there is always a bit of thread spare on the hooks for fine adjustment.

You may get away with an 18" x 18" brick pillar filled with concrete but be aware there will be a lot of concentrated stress on the hooks particularly when the gate is swinging with a couple of kids on the end!

If you do go for the filled brick pillar be sure to use the build-in hooks and not some faced fixed fellas.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for all your replies

Can you tell me the required foundation depth and width for an 18 inch brickbuilt post.
The post will be approx 5ft in height
Foundation will be in concrete

Dig down to decent bearing ground usually in excess of 600mm.

The foundation concrete will need to be about 150mm (min) thick and have a 75-100mm 'toe' all round.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back