Brick Inspection Chamber - Attaching new plastic soil pipe to clay joint?

You should not have a tee junction without an inspection chamber as you seem to be proposing.

It might be a little tight but it may be possible to add another inlet between the two existing ones on the right.

Tony

Sponsored Links
I will assume you intend to bring the new connection for the proposed ground floor WC up externally, then through the wall, as the current WC in the previous photo is arranged. Using that method, with an access bend where the pipe goes into the wall, then I cant see that using a junction that close to both the access bend and the chamber could be too much of an issue.

If you also replace the existing gulley with a bottle gulley, then that will provide access in a downstream direction to the chamber as a belt and braces approach. See what the BCO thinks, ultimately its what he/she will pass off.

Thanks for posting new info,it stills looks do able but needs onsite professional advice.

As only enabling work has been carried out to expose drain routes,now its time to get in a building control company or the council bco.

Have used http://www.pwc.uk.net/

Not advertising but had some very helpful advice,maybe more than council lead operatives could offer.

My brother in law wants to keep the cost and time to a minimum. He is disabled and cant live in the house until the w/c room is done and obviously being disabled and unable to work means its difficult for him to get money to get this job done.

If we were to install a new inlet into the chamber then we would need to get someone with a diamond core drill to drill it, which may work out quicker and cheaper (if there was enough room for the new inlet) than me having to smash out the concrete to find the kitchen drain pipe, chop and connect new fittings and then back fill this extra area that I'd have dug out.

For the other option of joining to the kitchen pipe line, I drew a pic that shows what I interpreted to be the suggestion for this option?

-There are paving stones next to the kitchen wall, so I though it maybe easier to just go round them rather than disturb them.

New Soil Pipe Plan.jpg

(1) = Sketch of the way it looks now

(2) = Connection from new w/c wall to the kitchen drain line

(3) = Kitchen line

I phoned the Building Control office and they said we would need to make a application/notification submission and the cost would be about £150.

I'm thinking that may be cheaper for my brother in law than using a building control company?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The vat is not applicable in this type of alteration under a few conditions.

Good luck with your project.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is nothing illegal to go in high and discharge above the main run with a 45 degree bend facing the flow direction.
Building control will be happy with it for sure.

Absolutely no need to employ any consultants, happy to advise you on here. Building Control fee is payable regardless, I would do a mock up of your proposals and let Building Control advise you what they'll accept. (They may want to inspect prior to backfill.)

I'm not sure where the existing gulley is in relation to the chamber, but personally, I'd relay the entire run in a straight line from the spigot left coming out the chamber to the existing gulley position. It'll be easier to work all the new stuff in plastic then making several connections to/from clayware.

Then join on your new WC connection at an appropriate point, as per your first diagram but come out the house with the access bend, then go straight down to another 90 to bring you back onto the horizontal plane and across to join the run into the chamber. If there is sufficient room then put a shallow access chamber on the connection instead of a junction for belt and braces approach.

Absolutely no need to employ any consultants, happy to advise you on here. Building Control fee is payable regardless, I would do a mock up of your proposals and let Building Control advise you what they'll accept. (They may want to inspect prior to backfill.)

I'm not sure where the existing gulley is in relation to the chamber, but personally, I'd relay the entire run in a straight line from the spigot left coming out the chamber to the existing gulley position. It'll be easier to work all the new stuff in plastic then making several connections to/from clayware.

Then join on your new WC connection at an appropriate point, as per your first diagram but come out the house with the access bend, then go straight down to another 90 to bring you back onto the horizontal plane and across to join the run into the chamber. If there is sufficient room then put a shallow access chamber on the connection instead of a junction for belt and braces approach.

Thanks. I did a mock up of the inside of the w/c, just need to do the one for the outside pipe work now. I mad a sketch of what I interpreted from what
you said about connecting it to the plastic.

New Soil Pipe Sujestion.jpg

So basically lift the flags and run the pipe down the side of the kitchen outside wall and change/connect the pipe to the kitchens drain gully?

There are a few different ways of doing it but, as previously mentioned, run it past building control. They are the ones you will have to satisfy and who will ultimately accept it (or not).

• Thanks
Reactions: DMA
So basically lift the flags and run the pipe down the side of the kitchen outside wall and change/connect the pipe to the kitchens drain gully?

No, what I'm suggesting is you renew the existing run from the manhole to the current gulley position, and replace the gulley at the same time. Then join onto this "new" run from the house with the connection from the new WC.

No, what I'm suggesting is you renew the existing run from the manhole to the current gulley position, and replace the gulley at the same time. Then join onto this "new" run from the house with the connection from the new WC.

Oh right, I get what you mean now I think.

Would this mean removig the clay pipe thats attached to the end of the existing soil pipe? If so, what's the best methord for removing them? The clay pipe is cemented underneath, on the side were it connexion to the chamber

No, dig down and find the 'other' pipe that runs from the manhole to the gulley, at the point where you want to connect to it. (As you've shown in your picture number 3 above.) Just take a straight line from the proposed position the new pipe will exit the house to this drain, you don't want any more bends than necessary.

Once located, either cut it there, or expose it back to the previous joint, and change to plastic from there. The section from manhole to stack in your pics is Hepworth 'SuperSleve', so, hopefully the other run to the gulley will be the same. The required couplings to take you from this to plastic are readily available. Fit junction or chamber in required position to provide lateral to new WC position, then continue to existing gulley position.

ok sounds good. Thank you all for your help, I plan to make a diagram of the plan and show it Building Control to move forward with this.

Thanks again

I have seen a lot of new bathrooms and toilets paid for by the local council for disabled people!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back