Brick laying Soldier Bricks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of an extension where soldier bricks are being inserted above the windows and garage door before rendering.
Firstly, we have a good relationship with our builder and workmen. However, the more I look at the workmanship on the soldier bricks the more unhappy I see the faults. Firstly a few are not exactly vertical / in-line,; the cement work is rough; and some bricks appear flawed.
Before I discuss concerns with the builder I'd appreciate any comments (I'll attach some photos.)
PHOTO-2024-05-12-17-07-58 (3).jpg
PHOTO-2024-05-12-17-07-58 (2).jpg
PHOTO-2024-05-12-17-07-58 (1).jpg
PHOTO-2024-05-12-17-07-57.jpg

Sponsored Links
It's a bit rough to say the least but if it's being rendered over does it matter and won't be seen does it matter?

The soldier bricks are a feature, the render will be above and at the side of them. Thank you for the comment about them needing to be slightly set out to allow for the render.

Sponsored Links
Get them relaid properly. They'll look much worse once everything is done and the scaffold dropped. Don't take any BS from them. Redo them else, don't let works progress. You are the client, they work to your requirements not their convenience.

The bottom edge needs to be in line and they need to be vertical in two directions, with even joints.

The render needs to be either flush with them or set back from them. Not proud of them, and not following a wavy top edge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back