Brick outbuilding to replace wooden shed - Build it right

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning on replacing an old wooden shed with a brick outbuilding (to be my workshop).
Dimensions: 4m x 3m

The new outbuilding will have brick walls, tiled roof, guttering, concrete sub-floor, wooden door and uPVC windows. In the workshop, there will be electrics, lighting, tools, shelving etc.

I understand that I will need to ventilate and insulate, but I don't know exactly what should I be asking for or looking for on the quote. I want to avoid dampness, condensation and mould in the long run, so all year round maintenance free outbuilding is the goal.

Any advice would be greatly received. Thanks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Build it with a similar specification to an extension

Or specify it as a shed and then see some of the "garage conversion" threads for how to insulate and waterproof it

Sponsored Links
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A garage conversion might have a cavity wall construction, but this would be a detached brick outbuilding without a cavity. So given its a new build, the spec might be closer to an extension.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A garage conversion might have a cavity wall construction, but this would be a detached brick outbuilding without a cavity. So given its a new build, the spec might be closer to an extension.
No, a garage is more likely to have a solid wall, so the principle that I alluded to was you could build a thin lightweight structure and line it like a garage conversion would be.

Sponsored Links
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, so I agree, in that context, it would be a new build, solid wall and therefore mirror a garage conversion. I will check out the thread(s) you mentioned. Thanks for your help.