Brick patio pointing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got two areas of brick paving using old bricks, both were laid some time ago, but not by me. One of them allows lichen and other natural growth on the pointing and looks generally very nice - consistent with age of property and bricks etc - whereas in the other area nothing grows at all and looks very stark and generally unappealing.

I now need to lay another small area myself, and am wondering what I need to do to recreate the conditions that allow a bit of growth to occur. Is this a function of the mortar mix and if so what should I use? Does the addition of lime make a difference and if so in what ratio?

All this is in an area of light pedestrian use, it's not a drive or anything like that.

Thanks in advance..

Sponsored Links
Dirt :idea: that`s it - rake the joints out 15mm deep and fill with dirt= pavers used to be laid on dirt inside as wel as outl - No hoovers then to suck it out the gaps .and just butted together, no pointed gaps as such.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back