Brick Pavers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just moved house and need to do something with the very small
approx. 4mt x 4mt back yard to try and make it look a bit less ugly.
Was thinking about decking the entire area but seems like a lot of
work and expense so im now considering putting brick pavers down
and wondered if this can be done directly onto the existing concrete
base without adhesive or sand base ? I would obviously use adhesive
at the edge's that do not have walls to retain strength and along the
back edge were I would be building a slightly raised flower bed.

Hopefully someone can help as I would like if possible to tackle this
myself if possible.[/img]

Sponsored Links
They will rock about all over the place if you simply set them on concrete as it will not be perfectly level. Also You can't use sand only as a bedding layer on top of a concrete base as it would not drain properly and the sand would remain fluid and swamp-like.

You may well come too close to your dpc height anyway by raising it 50mm or more.

The best bet would be flags laid on a mortar bed but that will possibly cost as much if not more than decking but will be much better.

Do it yourself its straight forward as long as you get good advice up front.

Do you think if I used 200mm x 100 driveway
brick pavers they would still rock ?

Sponsored Links
the depth is irrelevant 50mm or 100mm it's the fact that they are sitting on a completely hard surface with no give that is not totally smooth. Try setting a few down on it to see.

IF the concrete is is perfect condition and perfectly smooth it may work but it would need to have been powerfloated which no-one will do to a yard.

If you completely fill the area with very accurate cuts at the edges and dry sand the lot they will lock themselves in to a certain degree but they may still rock in places, its hard to know what would happen as it's not exactly a legitimate technique and i would definately not recommend it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back