Brick stains white in colour

Jim

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On my external garden wall there are a number of bricks with white stains-a bit like salt to look at. Is there a way in which I can clean them up please. Water and a scrubbing brush makes no impression.The bricks are the "yellow" type.
Thanks
Jim

Sponsored Links
It sounds like Efflorescence (look it up) mineral salts deposits arising from water drying out

show long ago was the wall built?

how near ground level (both sides) are these bricks?

is there, or has there been, a tap, hose or leak getting water onto them?

All bricks have an efflorescent rating and some effloresce worse than others.
Periods of wet weather, followed by periods of dry weather are ideal conditions for efflorescence.

The wall is about 50 years old. There is a lower wall behind it full of shingle and I guess soil, and butts right up to the outer wall.
Jim.

Sponsored Links
white stains can be due to lime, I believe a dilute solution of HCL removes it.

You could dilute down some spirits of salts and test on a non noticable small area.

if the wall is in contact with soil, it will always be wet, so the mineral deposits s will keep occurring.

I think you will have to get used to it (unless you want to excavate and protect the wet side from water)

Thanks for all the info. I will try a few approaches.
Jim

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back