Brick up back door and replace window with patio doors

18 Jul 2014
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Hi, this is my first post so apologies if it is in the wrong place *reposted here as it was in the wrong place*. We recently purchased our council house and doing a few bits of work on it. Hubby wants to brick up our back door (solid walls) which is in the kitchen/dining room (partially open with a stud wall going between half the room) and then in the other half - dining room side replace the window with patio/french doors. The window is pretty much the same measurement as the doors so we think has the correct supports but not too sure on this.
Do we need to apply for planning permission, any building regs we need to be aware of?
Anything we should consider when doing this work? He is planning on doing most of it himself with the help of friends (brickie, plasterer etc) is this ok or would you recommend him not doing it? Thanks for your help in advance :)
Sponsored Links
You probably don't need planning, but check if consent is needed from the council as former owners (especially if it's semi-detached, terraced or flatted, and the council still own the other half).

You do need Building Control approval.

To use the existing lintel etc the replacement door must be the same width ornarrower than the window.

If the kitchen and diner were separate rooms there might have been issue with means of escape in event of fire depending on the internal layout.

If the back door is glazed, black it out with carboard as a trial to see if the kitchen will be too dark when it's blocked up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links