Brick wall crumbling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
4 years ago I had my garage shortened to make room for a caravan. A wall with a door was built across the open end.
Recently I had the roof replaced and during this the contractor had to fix additional support along the new wall. To his horror, as he was drilling into the wall to fix a batten the hammer action of his drill (A 24v small drill) popped out the bricks he was drilling in to.
The cement was so weak you could powder it between thumb and forefinger easily.
He warned me that the whole wall was unsafe and should be rebuilt.
I have tried to elicit a response from the builder with no luck.
Can I sue?

Sponsored Links
If he was drilling near the top with a hammer drill, the bricks will pop out - what does he expect. He's trying to put the blame on the original builder.

Can you sue? Almost certainly not, regardless of the state of the mortar.

He was drilling 2 bricks down. The cement is so weak you can dig it out with a fingernail, in fact I have just gone out and dug 1/2" deep in 10
seconds! Do you call that acceptable? I gave a piece to my 9 year old granddaughter and she crumbled it to dust between her palms almost instantly.

If it's 2 bricks down, a hammer drill will disturb them, regardless of the strength of the mortar, as there is simply not enough weight from above to stabilize them.

As regards the strength of the mortar, from what you say, I would agree it seems very weak and crumbly (probably skimped on the cement content) but that of itself would be no legal justification for suing. The wall performed its function for four years and if left undisturbed may have stood for many more.

Not trying to denigrate what you say, just playing devil's advocate; in cases like this it's easy just to see your own side of it, but if you sue, you need to consider the arguments the opposition could put forward.

Sponsored Links
You can sue, but whether or not you win is another matter. If the builder doesn't turn up to contest it you may do.

sounds like he might of used fairy in the mortar or to weaker mix ,it would be impossible to sue after four years I would think

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back