Bricked up fireplace

Closure plate is an occasionally used secondary term for a Register plate - its not a secondary meaning, or a different kind of plate with a different function but merely another infrequently used alternative term for a Register plate.

Now that google has muddied the waters with claims for different names and plate functions its become confusing for those that are not experienced in these things.

Register plate has been the most consistent term that i've heard.

All Register plates were and are made from metal - even when called a closure plate the plate must still be metal: nothing else.

In the UK ree a closure plate is different from a register plate. A register plate is used when a metal liner isn't used and the original flue takes the gases.
It takes the stove pipe and must be totally sealed to stop any escape of fumes and metal to protect it from breakage in the event of a falling brick etc.
A closure plate is used when a s/s flexible liner takes the gases and is more to stop any soot falling down. It can be a cement board which makes for easier cutting, although it must be non combustible.

Sponsored Links
Why do you presume to think that i dont know whats what in the UK?

You are repeating what you said in your first post - maybe thats what some ill informed site on google claims as an accurate distinction but its not the case in the real workaday world.

I've already answered what you are claiming so i wont repeat myself.

Cement board is not a satisfactory material for a Register plate - with the pipe hole and an access door(s) it will be too weak to resist any significant falling debris or debris accumulation: this will also happen even with a liner in place.

Cement board has been refused by some HETAS and BCO's, and called out on RCIS surveys when it was seen to be bulging.

Thanks again I had a RCIS survey don't before buying and reading it tonight at states a "steel flue is apparent" when referring to the burner.

Why do you presume to think that i dont know whats what in the UK?
Because you don't seem to know the difference between a closure plate and a register plate. Any HETAS fitter could tell you this.
The installation of solid fuel appliances was part of the Bricklaying apprenticeship and I have installing quite a few over the years.
Cement board is NOT suitable for a register plate as you stated, but is allowed for a closure plate.
If insulation is poured down the flue round the liner there is no chance of any debris falling down on the plate. This is often done nowadays.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
During a C&G's plumbing course we were trained by a National Coal Board Expert in all things solid fuel. And he never once mentioned to my recollection, or on the evidence of his handouts, the term closure plate except as another name for an old fashioned CI Fireplace damper plate.
He later went on to be the trainer of guys who train HETAS.

FWIW: i've worked with many HETAS on various installations.

You are repeating yourself as you lose your argument - i've refuted you above but you still plough on. Repetition is not a technical argument.

Flue Supplies.com are probably the biggest everything in flues in the UK and they dont, and didn't ever, list or sell"Closure Plates" - they do sell, and have always sold, an extensive range of register plates. just thought you might want to know?

AAMOI: why do you capitalise and shout when you wish to make a point - no need to shout if you know what you are talking about.

Oh, big surprise - i didn't know that we were talking about "specials"? So you are only referring to customised plates?

Silly thing to say actually because if you check on: You Tube all the plates being made by HETAS guys are register plates. I even dialed in "closure plates" and it directed me to register plates. Go figure?

"If you have worked with a HETAS fitter" - not just a HETAS (the trade term) but its now a HETAS fitter. Plus, that is such a weak-kneed reply after i had told you who i had worked with.

You are ducking and diving mate: you claim that the largest flue supplier not stocking them: "means nothing" - and for your info. the most useful installation guide: Stove Fitters Manual doesn't even mention them.

Please dont repeat yourself: its not only wrong but its also tedious.

Plus, that is such a weak-kneed reply after i had told you who i had worked with.

You can say that you worked with someone, but that's just what you say. You don't have any evidence to back up what you say apart from your opinion which any time served tradesman on here won't take seriously. I've been in the trade since leaving school and I normally know when I'm taking to a Bengal.

Well thats it. You've lost game set and match once you leave the page to start slagging the person.

When you say you've been in the trade and mention a Bengal in the same breath - are you now claiming to be associated with, say, the Bengal Lancers? How odd? I do hope that the trade has not been too rough on you?

I'm sorry if i've upset you but they do say that if you dont take a resentment then you wont get one. I've always found it to be sound psychological advice. I'll leave you now we have left the page but leaving the above aside, in future do ask me if there is anything you might want to know about the building trade, and i'll try and help.

So you didn't click on the stove fitters manual link you claim to follow which clearly explains that you are totally wrong.
I doubt if you can help anyone in the trade. I remember you telling some one to build an angled bay with cant bricks and use the bucket handle on old lime work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back