Stove register plate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently had a stove fitted. I was expecting that the register plate would be made of metal and made to measure. Surprised to see that it's made of some kind of board. "Hardbacker"? And it hasn't been plastered over.

It's it fair to even call this a register plate? Any experts here able to provide guidance please?

Thanks
Pj

Sponsored Links
dont know stoves but its probably a fire proof board, which i think is fine.

but dont quote me on that :)

Hardibacker board is perfect for a register plate and in my opinion better than steel..... What is it that bothers you about it?

Well, it does not look like it'll be very easy to inspect above it. If work needs doing, it's removal well be hard and dirty and there's no inspection hatch in it as I've seen on some steel ones.

Sponsored Links
There is no requirement for an inspection hatch, removing a steel plate is just as messy as one made of hardibacker... You'll find tons of rubble above a register plate that has been fitted for any length of time and the only time that I have ever wanted to open an inspection hatch, all four screws were so rusted that they snapped when I tried to unscrew them...

Did you ask the installer for a steel register plate with an inspection hatch?

Hardibacker board is perfect for a register plate and in my opinion better than steel..... What is it that bothers you about it?

A register plate must always be made from a minimum 1.5mm steel and there must be access to collect soot.

A closure plate can be made from a non-combustible material such as Hardiebacker and no access/inspection hatches are required. Hardiebacker is A1 fire rated so can be used.

Difference between a register plate and closure plate here:

http://www.stovefittersmanual.co.uk/articles/closure-plate-register-plate/

Recently had a stove fitted. I was expecting that the register plate would be made of metal and made to measure. Surprised to see that it's made of some kind of board. "Hardbacker"? And it hasn't been plastered over.

It's it fair to even call this a register plate? Any experts here able to provide guidance please?

Thanks
Pj

One would not plaster it as it gets hot and plaster will crack. Hardiebacker is smooth and can be painted.

thanks for all the responses. The quotation did indeed mention a register plte. However according to Goldspoons' link, in my case one isn't needed since I have a chimney liner. Thanks again!

Thats right.

A register plate is fitted where there is no liner made from steel with access for sweeping.

Because you have a liner, you have a closure plate which is made of non combustible material.

No sweeping access required. However, the connection from your flue pipe to the liner (usually a push fit connection) must be able to be inspected, so if it has been correctly fitted the joint will be slightly below the closure plate. If you cannot see it then there is a case for an inspection hatch.

Andy.

I don't fit inspection hatches in closure plates as such. I fit a small cover plate that seals around the flue pipe that can be removed if required (to see the adaptor).

But what if one is backfilling with Vermiculite? I suppose one can still inspect but only by removing the stove and shining a torch up the vitreous pipe...

One can have two plates with the adaptor between but who will ever do that?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back