Multi fuel stove register plate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have been searching online but can't find the exact information I require so thought I'd be best to start my own tread so I'm hoping somebody with more knowledge than me (which isn't hard ha) can point me in the right direction here.

Last year I was fitting myself a multi fuel stove at home. I got a chimney sweeper out who cleaned and done a smoke test. He said my chimney was a class 1 and seemed in good condition, during the smoke test he had me in the loft and my missus in bedroom while he was outside checking for any smoke which was all clear. He explained that a liner was not required if I wished not too.

I have since fitted my multi fuel using a hardi backer board for the register plate and had no problems.
I have recently noticed that I have a new crack in the board coming from the flue to the front in the very centre. This is quite deep and certainly not a hair line crack.

I am wondering what could have caused this? Could it have been something which has fell from inside the chimney onto the board? I was suppose to leave a minor expansion gap around the flue or sides? Any other reasons?

Now I am aware I need to replace this board, I just want to check, do I need to use a steel register plate or can I just replace using another board?

If I remember correctly, the actual opening of the chimney was pretty small so will be tricky to get a register plate this small to only go inside this and also fitting it or can I just fit using another fire board which was pretty easy and straight forward. Any help would be much appreciated as I'm in the process of redecorating the living room but don't want to continue until I have resolved this.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
More than likely the register plate has been installed a bit on the tight side so expansion has taken it's toll.
Personally I make register plates out of 3mm mild steel, fixed to angle iron within the chimney breast.
John :)

Last year I was fitting myself a multi fuel stove at home......

This is rarely a good start - if your chimney catches fire and your house burns down, and the installation hasn't been either signed off by a HETAS installer or Building Control, you'll be royally shafted as it's highly unlikely your house insurance will want to give you so much as a penny. Similarly, if your stove installation causes someone to suffer carbon monoxide poisoning, you could end up being sued and you've not got insurance to cover that.

Now we've got the legal bit out of the way...Hardibacker isn't considered to be a suitable material for a register plate. It should be made of steel, fixed in place with angle iron and preferably with an inspection door in it.

Thanks burnerman and muggles.

I was under the impression that hardibacker was considered to be a suitable material as it was graded as fully non combustible?

Regarding the legality, does that mean that basically, it is illegal to fit your own stove now? I was told by several people and companies that a hetas engineer wouldn't sign off an installation if they hadn't fitted it themself as they will not put there name to somebody else's work which is understandable.

This help is much appreciated.

Thanks
Danny

Sponsored Links
It's considered to be not suitable as it would smash if, for example, a brick fell down the chimney onto it. Whether it's properly fire rated or not (able to withstand 1000°C for 30 minutes) I don't know. Thermalite blocks, for example, aren't considered to be fire rated in the HETAS world as they won't withstand 1000°C for 30 mins

As for the legality, if your local Building Control offer a sign-off service then you can fit yourself and get them to sign it off, but they'd normally want to do an inspection prior to the installation commencing, some will want to inspect mid-works, and another inspection on completion. There are no set fees for this so they can charge what they like, but it is an option if you reeeaaally don't want to get a HETAS registered installer in

Thanks muggles, I'll call my local council tomorrow and see if they can do it and how much, I have spoken to my insurance today and they were fine without and certificates or anythjng, he just said he will put a note on the system.

Is anybody local to Merseyside who can give me a price on supply and fit of a liner or just labour only if I provide all equipment. Although I find myself pretty handy, it may just be easier to get somebody more experienced to fit it for me. Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back