Bricked up window - water issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have an old fashioned pantry that had a small window.
Rather than replace the unwanted window we asked a local tradsman bricked it up for us, just a few weeks back.

This morning I opened the door to find water all over the shelves and floor. It appears to have been happeningf or quite some time.

Looking at it the builder placed a wooden board of some type on the inside, which is now soaking wet. Behind that is a row of bricks and on the outside a render to match the rest of the house.

Im not sure what to do & rather than him bodge it up again it would be better to get it sorted properly.

Any help would be appreciated

ta, G

Sponsored Links
Looking at it the builder placed a wooden board of some type on the inside, which is now soaking wet. Behind that is a row of bricks and on the outside a render to match the rest of the house.
G
Can you elaborate on this wooden board, also what is the wall construction? Cavity wall or what?

The rest of the hosue has cavity wall insulation, its an ex council house and we dont ahve any other problems ther with water coming in

as far as I can tell with the window space, its render on the outside, a single brick in dept and the board looks like a bit of plaster board.
Its very damp/wet

Has it been raining hard outside?

Are there any items in that room that might create condensation (Washing machine/dryer/dish washer/clothes hanging/extractor fan outlet)

I think your local tradesman has managed to create a cold spot in the wall where the water condensates. Makes perfect sense if you have cavity walls everywhere else, and this is a single course brick to the outside with some render on it, and its freezing outside it will be conducting the cold back, and it will be a lot colder than the rest of the house.

If this is the case, I would knock it all out again, clean up the edges right up to the cavity wall, and build a double skin wall back up with insulation between, tying into the existing cavity.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that, it sounds right.

There are a few small holes in the render which must be letting the water in.
yes we have condensation issues, Im trying to takle that next

thanks

G

Sounds like hes only built the outer skin up, he should have followed the cavity through with insulation, then build the inner wall.
If its only single skin with p/b dabbed on, it will form a cold spot and problems with damp.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back