Bricking up an external door.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i've just looked at a job which is fitting a kitchen , no problems there. The house is a smallish terrace , two downstairs rooms with the kitchen ( approx 1/2 the width of the house) behind and the bathroom behind that, so pretty standard layout. The kitchen has a doorway leading to the garden . The client is eliminating this door and relocating it to the rear of the adjacent downstairs room. The existing doorway is at the moment just a sheet of temporary ply.
Now , partly owing to this doorway being arched they would like to make a feature of this . To do this they have suggested a single skin of brickwork to marry in with the outside that would be rendered on the outside but omitting above worktop height the inner skin , it being a 9" wall, which would be plastered and shelves fitted into the resultant alcove. All pretty simple and easy to understand but here is where my knowledge of building regs etc is a bit on the scant side. The client asked if this idea would be allowed or would it be something that would be picked up as incorrect , for want of a better term , should they come to sell the house and I frankly wasn't sure.
There was also the idea of using glass blocks instead of bricks to in effect make this a window light rather than a blocked up doorway. That would throw more light into the kitchen but again I was unsure so would appreciate people's thoughts and hopefully knowledge of the regs .

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
(y) good terms

Probably tomorrow when I'm a bit sober.

I don't think glass blocks would strictly conform , but probably no worse than an equivalent window. With a bit of external waterproofing on the joints.

Otherwise some Celotex and a less deep recess

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back