Bricking up an outside door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've put some french doors in and now I need to brick up my old back door. The walls are double thickness, solid brick with no cavity and are rendered on the outside. I think I have two options:

1) Use an internal skin of thermal block and an outside skin of concrete block

2) Use concrete block only and lay them horizontally so that only one leaf is used but the wall thickness is then the same as the height of the blocks if used in the normal way.

I want to go for option because it's easier. Can anyone see anything wrong with this approach?

Also, I intend to use 3 or 4 ties on each side to tie the blocks into the existing walls. I'll also use DPM underneath the new blockwork. Is there anything else anyone can suggest?

Lastly, the conrete block I've chosen is the medium density stuff from Wickes. Is this adequate do you think?

Thanks for looking :)

Sponsored Links
Make sure the dpc have plenty overlap over the exsisting dpc, everything okay what you're saying but you would be better off using 215mm x 215mm celcon block which will save you sand/cement.

You might find it easier to use wall starter stainless bracket
41311_l.jpg

Masona said:
you would be better off using 215mm x 215mm celcon block
I second that, You would only need to use concrete blocks if the wall is going to take substantial loading. But since you already have a lintel over the opening, all it's got to do, is block the hole, and support itself.

Thanks everyone. I've started in earnest! Those stainless steel hangers look nice but my local DIY store didn't stock anything like those. They suggested I use figure 8 ties every few courses and L brackets screwed into the side walls. I've been at it for hours now (!) and got 6 courses done before the lack of light and the mozzies (attracted by my halogen floodlamp) stopped me. Hey, first time I've laid bricks and it's going well! :)

Sponsored Links
Hope this wont spoil your day but celcon block are a pig to render and if you plan to do it yourself then get some tips before you start.
Personally ,would have used ordinary clinkers (breeze) laid flat ,cheapest, and easiest for plastering, tied to existing with window frame fixings which do the same job as any furfix type starters at a fraction of the cost. I would never use an airated concrete block (Celcon/Thermalite) externally particually without a cavity break due to their immense pourousity, make sure there is plenty of waterproofer therefor in the final floating coat of your external rendering to prevent water ingress.

Thanks for the extra info. I ended up using the medium density blocks from Wickes. There was a very small gap between the skins after all though it was less than an inch. I ended up using what was available - the figure 8 stainless steel ties and L brackets. Overdid it on the number of brackets using all 8 I bought plus around 16 ties (!) but at least it's not going anywhere now ;)

I'm just really pleased with my brickwork - it's all straight and level - I can't believe it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back