Bricking up side door with breezeblocks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to brick up my side door to my kitchen as it's redundant with the run of new kitchen units about to go along that wall.

I have cavity walls.

Having not done this before I am wondering:

1. Presume I can use breezeblocks - but any specific type - I noticed B&Q seem to have standard and very lightweight ones?

2. Do I need 2 'skins' (not sure that's the right word) of blocks? If so, presume I need to 'tie' them together?

3. Do I tie-in the new blocks to the existing wall on either side using special right angled brackets?

4. Do I need a block-splitting tool to cut them?

Any help would be most appreciated!

:D

Sponsored Links
gileto said:
1. Presume I can use breezeblocks - but any specific type - I noticed B&Q seem to have standard and very lightweight ones?
Lightweight will be fine
gileto said:
2. Do I need 2 'skins' (not sure that's the right word) of blocks? If so, presume I need to 'tie' them together?
Using 2 skins (as I did) is probably the easiest way to do it & I put a tie in the centre of every other course; set the blocks back 10mm from the surrounding to allow for plastering.
gileto said:
3. Do I tie-in the new blocks to the existing wall on either side using special right angled brackets?

Best to; I used 3 tie brackets each side.
gileto said:
4. Do I need a block-splitting tool to cut them?
No, just get a decent bolster chisel, mark all the way around with lightish blows & then give it a good whack to split it; or you can use an angle grinder to mark & then split but it's messy.

you might need planning permission for this..

someone on another post had to get it to block up a doorway and open up the window into pation doors..

ColJack said:
you might need planning permission for this..

someone on another post had to get it to block up a doorway and open up the window into pation doors..
Unlikely!

Sponsored Links
cheers for all that Richard. Dont think I will need planning permission - side door between 2 properties and is not visible from the front or back or from next door.

One last question..should there be a gap between the 2 'skins', if so how much, approx?

ok

you can use breeze blocks but you must put ties on every course of blocks..2 ties spread across is ok..the cavity is already set out so keep it the same ..its usually 65mm but can be 75mm...befor you start see where your damp is...its usually finished floor level on new builds but your house is prob old so its brob a little higher..any way lay 1 or 2 courses of bricks ,what ever it takes to be level with your existing damp and put some damp on your bricks,over lapping the new damp onto the existing damp,then build away,but you must tie the blocks into the sides of the opening,using furfix,or drill and fix galvanised screws level with the top of the block,then lay your next block on top of the fixing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back