Bricklayer Costs and time

Sponsored Links
Thank you for all your advise.

So far I haven't been very impressed with the quotes I've had. In fact, in my opinion they must think I've got 'mug' tattooed on my forehead.

I'm not into bargaining with people. The price is the price as far as I'm concerned.

I'm going to have to keep on looking.

Adrian

they must think I've got 'mug' tattooed on my forehead.
Do you know, thats exactly what brickies have had tattooed on their foreheads for the last five or six years.

Nice to be in a position where prices are coming back up and we can start feeding the kids real meat again. :rolleyes:

Supply and demand my friend. Brickies left the trade in droves when some of us were actually working (long days) for as little as £40 per day.

Ho hum.

they must think I've got 'mug' tattooed on my forehead.
Do you know, thats exactly what brickies have had tattooed on their foreheads for the last five or six years.

Nice to be in a position where prices are coming back up and we can start feeding the kids real meat again. :rolleyes:

Supply and demand my friend. Brickies left the trade in droves when some of us were actually working (long days) for as little as £40 per day.

Ho hum.

I genuinely have no problem in paying someone a good wage for a good days work but I don't like being taken for a ride.

You tell me.........

Approximately 73sq meters of area to be covered (6x6x6.5 and the height is about 4.2m less windows/doors)

Brick outside (LBC Heather). Block inside (Plasmor Fibolite). 100mm gap for insulation.

Just labour NOT INCLUDING materials.

How much should I be billed.

Sponsored Links
...and new bits have appeared that I don't remember seeing before! :?:

Maybe I should see a doctor about that. :confused:

You tell me.........
Approximately 73sq meters of area to be covered (6x6x6.5 and the height is about 4.2m less windows/doors)
Just labour NOT INCLUDING materials.
How much should I be billed.

If you had posted once instead of posting twice with different headings,
(Brickie Cost - Is it per square meter?)
Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=13#ixzz31sj2LfSU
then there would be no need for this post as it was answered in the above post.

Be a good lad and make an effort not to waste peoples time.

Duke. Took me a time to figure it out. No need to see the quack now, just stick with the wacky baccy.
Regards oldun :)

I genuinely have no problem in paying someone a good wage for a good days work but I don't like being taken for a ride.
It's a free market here in the UK.

Go out and get more quotes and pick the cheapest.

And if all prices come back similar then that is the going market rate.

Otherwise, do it yourself.

My apologies.
No apologies needed. You have offended no one.

What you need to realise is that there is a shortage of skilled brickies and now work is picking up again.

Good for the brickie bad for the customer. Things may level out but it may take time. Those who left during the 2008 exodus may or may not come back. However, not enough new guys are in the trade to take the shortfall.

It helps massively if your in the construction trade.Im a roofer and just built an extension. I know a lot of trades, so was fortunate to get a brickie
As I would be struggling as well, Construction has really picked up.
My advice would be to get a price. Day rate is for lazy people..

I've been recommended someone who is going to view the job tomorrow and then give me his quote in the next few days. The person who recommended him I trust implicitly. I just hope he's reasonable.

so by that reasoning what ever price he quotes will be a fair one, regardless of whether you think its to high or not :)

Sorry, I explained incorrectly. I trust the person who recommended the bricklayer. You're right as so far as the price is the price but I wanted a rough idea from people on here before I got quotes to know if the prices were reasonable.

Mate, you just simply can't gleam that information from a site like this.

There are many things to consider; if you want labour only, are you definitely going to have all of the materials required and on site at the appropriate time, what if he runs out of feb mix mid run, whose responsibility is it if he cant carry on laying and you're at work. Do you actually know all of the materials, things like damp trays, cavity closers and insulation clips and tape etc. How close to the site will all of these things be stored, what is the access like. IS he being paid to set the building out, how good is the concrete in the foundations for level etc.

You simply have to get 3 prices and get a feel for the lads in question against their actual pricing. The best thing of all is, you already have a recommendation, so whilst you don't have to use him, at least you know he's already been vetted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back