Bricklaying DVD perhaps a tad misleading?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought one of these a few years back and they seem quite good for the basics, but they possibly give quite a false impression of how much adjustment you can make once a brick is laid, or is it just me?

The training centres seem to use a muck/mortar mix of 1 lime to 6 sand. That mix is extremely pliable and takes an age to go off. They need to use such a mix anyway because they need to wipe out easily all traces of the immediately previous courses in the centre, ready for the net set of trainees.

Hand mixed sand cement muck/mortar with plasticiser (possibly not worked enough by me) is in contrast a different beast. Looks smooth enough, cuts and rolls ok to give a nice 'sausage', can be laid, then furrowed ok, even sticks well on buttering up (providing I wet the bricks enough beforehand to reduce suction), but you only get the grace of a few taps to correct your initial 'squashing in' position, any more and you destroy the joints, i.e. adhesion of the mortar to the bricks. In the DVD you see the trainees and the instructor knocking the bricks all over the place to get to plumb, level and gauge. So they end up with half decent efforts even with the most higgledy piggledy initial laying.

Perhaps if I use a mixer the plasticiser will mimic the lime mortar better in terms of enhancing workability/brick positioning?

The only solution I came up with was to take more care to gauge the mortar bed and buttering and so try to get to ~95% of the final position on the first placing constantly using gauge rods and a brick line. Here is where I came to appreciate the skill of the bricklayer, it's up there with plastering. People mistakenly think it's easy, it is not.

Didn't use the Belle minimixer as working single handedly (and snail pace slowly in my case) I was concerned that the mortar would be going off whilst you are cleaning out the mixer, but I guess it would mix better (more pliable) mortar and save the back.
I used some plasticiser which was many many years old, does it go off? Didn't use fairy liquid as it seems to be frowned upon.
Any of the plasticisers better than the rest?

However I am going to try hand mixed 1 part lime, 1 part cement and 6 parts sand next, to see if that comes close to the workability (and adjustability) of the pure lime: sand mortar, as shown in the DVD.
BTW for below the DPC Hanson's fact sheet recommends 1:1/2:4 cement:lime:sand.

Sponsored Links
You must have a DVD with bad acting.

You lay the bed evenly and trough it sufficiently so that all you need to do is place the brick down and then press and slide it with your hand. You don't go tapping and hammering the brick all over the place.

If you are building a corner, then you might lightly tap the bricks with the trowel handle whilst using the level and adjusting the bricks for level, plumb or range

The pliability of the mortar is more to do with spreading the mortar or buttering the bricks, and not to do with laying them

You need to work on your technique

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back