Bricks as a substitute for hard core

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When laying down hard core rubble into a foundation, can one get away with using complete and partial bricks? Something like: http://www.mccarthywaste.co.uk/images/uploaded/recycling/hardcore-recycling-article-main.jpg

I've got a lot of leftover bricks from the patio, and I am wondering whether I can throw them into the foundation base and use a compactor to flatten/break them up. Never tried it before, and no idea whether the compactor will actually break the bricks up into finer pieces. If it is possible, I can save me quite a few bob :).

Sponsored Links
Do you mean the floor slab? In which case people do do it, but whether it's worth it is another matter. I did use some bricks myself once for a tiny extension 3Mx1.5M because the MoT I'd ordered didn't quite cover it. It wasn't all that simple getting the bricks to 40mm or below, but I guess that depends on how soft yours are.

You can't get away with any hardcore in a foundation.
Can you elaborate?

garyo said:
Do you mean the floor slab? In which case people do do it, but whether it's worth it is another matter. I did use some bricks myself once for a tiny extension 3Mx1.5M because the MoT I'd ordered didn't quite cover it. It wasn't all that simple getting the bricks to 40mm or below, but I guess that depends on how soft yours are.
Yeh, local council stated I'd need to do it, so it's either another 100 quid on some pre-made hard core, or use what I already have. I guess I could mix the two.

Sponsored Links
You can't use hardcore under a foundation, but you can under a floor slab.

go to a steam fair, Look at the stationary engine line, Find one that is belted to a brick crusher. Have conversation, result bricks to the size you need.

Oh, I recall the Great Empire Traction Engine Exhibition of 2016 when I required suitable broken material for my carriage standing and garden folly. I donned my cap and tweeds and ventured forth to make such arrangements with a suitable fellow.

Alas, whilst the truly marvellous collection of beasts was a sight to behold, non were belted to a brick crusher. There were weaves, mills, pumps, beating and hammer presses, but no brick crushing machines. I aquired a refund of my 2d fee, and left disappointed.

When laying down hard core rubble into a foundation, can one get away with using complete and partial bricks? Something like: http://www.mccarthywaste.co.uk/images/uploaded/recycling/hardcore-recycling-article-main.jpg

I've got a lot of leftover bricks from the patio, and I am wondering whether I can throw them into the foundation base and use a compactor to flatten/break them up. Never tried it before, and no idea whether the compactor will actually break the bricks up into finer pieces. If it is possible, I can save me quite a few bob :).
You have to be careful using crushed reclaimed brick as hardcore under concrete, as it may contain salts, which can cause problems with heave.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back