Bricks didn't bond - too dry?

Are you laying the bed right - deep, furrowing it and slidding the brick to get the suction?

Sponsored Links
Are you laying the bed right - deep, furrowing it and slidding the brick to get the suction?
That's the worst bit - I thought I was doing really well on the trowel :D

Was really feeling it! That said, initially I was putting too much mortar in (again, a bit used to getting away with it with engineering bricks where it's got somewhere to go) so perhaps I over compensated when I reduced it.

Good point though, I'll pay extra attention to how I'm placing them.

Right, got round to having another bash at it Saturday. As I'm still underground I did wet the bricks - they are exceptionally thirsty, that much is without a doubt.

Anyway, I'm definitely not going mad - things definitely went a LOT better this time, both in the short term (hard to describe, but I could just tell the bricks were sitting with more suction etc) and the next day everything was good apart from 2 which I'd knocked but thought I might get away with! Even the top of the corner was nice and solid - obviously I didn't push my luck, but they had definitely bonded and I could use it with a line etc.

Had another go yesterday and it was a bit more of a mixed bag - I've just been and had a look and most are fine, but I've got a few that aren't right.

One thing I'm going to change is that I was using some super concentrate plasticiser, but I'm only mixing 1/4 a bag of cement at a time so it ends up being something stupid like 2.5ml per mix. I've picked up a normal 5l can. Pretty sure I've seen builders put stupid amounts of plasticiser in, but I suppose it does reduce the moisture content in the mortar and that doesn't help so the less concentrated stuff will let me gauge it down a little.

Sponsored Links
Use the container cap

The SIKA concentrate I use is only 5ml per 25kg cement. If I only make a small mix it's tricky to accurately measure ~2ml - far easier with a syringe

So, still struggling a bit with this. I'm done underground now, so my next work will be visible - I'm 100% happy with my cement, my sand, my plaz etc. I did have a bit of a realisation that I was probably mixing my mortar a little too dry - found I could make it a bit wetter and leave it mixing longer and get quite a nice workable mortar.

BUT, conclusion is still much the same - if I take bricks out of the pack and lay them even with nice beds, I'll have a very weak bond, and the top brick probably won't bond at all. If I get them nice and wet, they bond perfectly. The stuff I've done underground is absolutely rock solid.

So not really sure where to go here? I know people have the same issues with lightweight blocks, but the conclusion seems to be it'll be okay once built. Obviously this is a free standing wall (with fairly long 6m runs) so it needs to be stable by itself.

As they're S2 bricks so hopefully low salt, I'm reaching a point where I might just have to dip them and brave efflorescence - especially for getting the corners up

Just stack a few courses of your next day's bricks on top.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back